+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Want to build GM Hydramatic m16 clone. Help!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    Legacy Member Btl1994's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last On
    05-07-2022 @ 04:38 PM
    Location
    Chalfont PA
    Posts
    32
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Local Date
    12-07-2022
    Local Time
    03:38 PM

    Want to build GM Hydramatic m16 clone. Help!

    I want to build an a s close to spec replica GM Hydramatic m16a1. I've seen 80% lowers engraved online but I've been told they're of the A2 profile. So one, are there proper a1 lower blanks available? And two where could I find non colt marked parts? Thanks in advance!
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

  2. # ADS
    Friends and Sponsors
    Join Date
    October 2006
    Location
    Milsurps.Com
    Posts
    All Threads
    A Collector's View - The SMLE Short Magazine Lee Enfield 1903-1989. It is 300 8.5x11 inch pages with 1,000+ photo’s, most in color, and each book is serial-numbered.  Covering the SMLE from 1903 to the end of production in India in 1989 it looks at how each model differs and manufacturer differences from a collecting point of view along with the major accessories that could be attached to the rifle. For the record this is not a moneymaker, I hope just to break even, eventually, at $80/book plus shipping.  In the USA shipping is $5.00 for media mail.  I will accept PayPal, Zelle, MO and good old checks (and cash if you want to stop by for a tour!).  CLICK BANNER to send me a PM for International pricing and shipping. Manufacturer of various vintage rifle scopes for the 1903 such as our M73G4 (reproduction of the Weaver 330C) and Malcolm 8X Gen II (Unertl reproduction). Several of our scopes are used in the CMP Vintage Sniper competition on top of 1903 rifles. Brian Dick ... BDL Ltd. - Specializing in British and Commonwealth weapons Chuck in Denver ... Buy-Sell-Trade .. Guns, Cars Motorcycles Your source for the finest in High Power Competition Gear. Here at T-bones Shipwrighting we specialise in vintage service rifle: re-barrelling, bedding, repairs, modifications and accurizing. We also provide importation services for firearms, parts and weapons, for both private or commercial businesses.
     

  3. #2
    Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last On
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    27,928
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    12-07-2022
    Local Time
    11:38 AM
    If you know of a machine shop that has CNC, he could make one to spec for you, in the white. It would even be engraved correctly...add the serial number from BATF and go...
    Regards, Jim

  4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
  5. #3
    Legacy Member Btl1994's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last On
    05-07-2022 @ 04:38 PM
    Location
    Chalfont PA
    Posts
    32
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Local Date
    12-07-2022
    Local Time
    03:38 PM
    Thread Starter
    I guess thata the route I'd have to go as most 80% receivers o find are of the A2 variant

  6. #4
    Legacy Member HOOKED ON HISTORY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last On
    12-05-2022 @ 05:26 PM
    Location
    MS/USA
    Posts
    3,797
    Local Date
    12-07-2022
    Local Time
    01:38 PM
    Nodak-Spud makes some very nice A-1 lowers finished and 80% and I believe they list third parties who can do the engraving.

  7. #5
    Legacy Member Btl1994's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last On
    05-07-2022 @ 04:38 PM
    Location
    Chalfont PA
    Posts
    32
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Local Date
    12-07-2022
    Local Time
    03:38 PM
    Thread Starter
    Thanks for the tip! I guess a want to buy add would be best for the other parts. I'm mostly concerned with the upper, barrel, and bolt carrier group.

  8. #6
    Legacy Member old tanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last On
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Location
    Fort Knox, KY
    Age
    73
    Posts
    299
    Real Name
    Emil
    Local Date
    12-07-2022
    Local Time
    02:38 PM
    When I was a drill sergeant at Fort Campbell in 1971-1972. Our company had M16A1 rifles from all three manufacturers, Colt, H&R and GM-Hydramatic, with most being GM. When issuing the rifles to each incoming cycle of trainees we made a concerted effort to ensure all the left handed shooters were issued Colts. Our observation then was that the Colts tended to eject brass pretty much straight out the side. The H&R seemed to have no discernible tendency while the Hydramatics very much toward the rear. On the ranges we always put all the left handed shooters together on the left end of the firing line. A trainee with hot brass down his shirt and a loaded rifle in his hands could generate more excitement than you wanted. Along about this time PS MAGAZINE, the Army's Preventative Maintenance "comic book" actually "advertised" a plastic brass deflector that snapped into the hole in the charging handle and advised "southpaws" how to get one through the Training Aids Support Office or "TASO" or by the Training Audiovisual Service Center or "TASC."

    You can see in the picture that it is plainly marked "TASO-FJSC," having been produced by the Training Aids Support Office, Fort Jackson, South Carolina

  9. The Following 4 Members Say Thank You to old tanker For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Legacy Member HOOKED ON HISTORY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last On
    12-05-2022 @ 05:26 PM
    Location
    MS/USA
    Posts
    3,797
    Local Date
    12-07-2022
    Local Time
    01:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by old tanker View Post
    a plastic brass deflector that snapped into the hole in the charging handle and advised "southpaws" how to get one through the Training Aids Support Office or "TASO" or by the Training Audiovisual Service Center or "TASC."
    They have gotten hard to find. I was lucky enough to find a couple to add to my XM177A1 AND M16A1 clones.

  11. #8
    Legacy Member old tanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last On
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Location
    Fort Knox, KY
    Age
    73
    Posts
    299
    Real Name
    Emil
    Local Date
    12-07-2022
    Local Time
    02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HOOKED ON HISTORY View Post
    They have gotten hard to find. I was lucky enough to find a couple to add to my XM177A1 AND M16A1 clones.
    They were pretty hard to find back then. The TASO and TASC, like many of the support activities on Army posts were often the purview of Department of the Army (DA) civilians. Generally if you wanted to "grease the wheels" to get them to do their job and actually issue you something you were supposed to have, show up, at a minimum, with a 3 pound can of mess hall coffee. Otherwise, if you waited on the "request' to makes its way through "channels" it would be even money you would PCS first.

  12. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to old tanker For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last On
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    27,928
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    12-07-2022
    Local Time
    11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by old tanker View Post
    plastic brass deflector that snapped into the hole in the charging handle
    A neat collector's piece and I would have grabbed one too. That's the sort of thing that's gone now and just remains in story for the most part.
    Regards, Jim

  14. #10
    Contributing Member mrclark303's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Location
    The wild west of England
    Posts
    3,228
    Real Name
    Mr Clark
    Local Date
    12-07-2022
    Local Time
    08:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by old tanker View Post
    When I was a drill sergeant at Fort Campbell in 1971-1972. Our company had M16A1 rifles from all three manufacturers, Colt, H&R and GM-Hydramatic, with most being GM. When issuing the rifles to each incoming cycle of trainees we made a concerted effort to ensure all the left handed shooters were issued Colts. Our observation then was that the Colts tended to eject brass pretty much straight out the side. The H&R seemed to have no discernible tendency while the Hydramatics very much toward the rear. On the ranges we always put all the left handed shooters together on the left end of the firing line. A trainee with hot brass down his shirt and a loaded rifle in his hands could generate more excitement than you wanted. Along about this time PS MAGAZINE, the Army's Preventative Maintenance "comic book" actually "advertised" a plastic brass deflector that snapped into the hole in the charging handle and advised "southpaws" how to get one through the Training Aids Support Office or "TASO" or by the Training Audiovisual Service Center or "TASC."

    You can see in the picture that it is plainly marked "TASO-FJSC," having been produced by the Training Aids Support Office, Fort Jackson, South Carolina
    That's new to me, you learn something new every day!

    I have to ask, what the difference in manufacturing between M16A1 contractors that allowed a different ejection pattern, different extractor profile perhaps?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. A4 clone
    By dcbrown in forum M1903/1903A3/A4 Springfield Rifle
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2018, 09:45 PM
  2. No.4 mk1 (T) clone
    By jonh172 in forum The Lee Enfield Knowledge Library Collectors Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-26-2017, 12:07 AM
  3. "SLICKSIDE" Colt USAF Model 604 clone build
    By imarangemaster in forum M16A2/AR15A2 Rifles
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-03-2016, 12:12 AM
  4. Happy Veterans Day! (Inspired me to build an M16A1 clone)
    By imarangemaster in forum M16A2/AR15A2 Rifles
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-16-2015, 10:02 PM
  5. Clone of a clone of a carbine!
    By TCS-5 in forum The Lee Enfield Knowledge Library Collectors Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-01-2015, 04:48 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts