+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Ross 1905 Mark 2 ** Civilian Target Rifle

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #11
    Member vykkagur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Last On
    @
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    92
    Local Date
    06-07-2020
    Local Time
    04:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flintlock50 View Post
    Anyone wanting to see the Ross Mark 2 ** Civilian Target Rifle with serial number 5,000 can go to Photo Gallery on this site, type in Ross and you should see my rifle under username of Molly Dog. I posted those pictures several years ago, sadly, Molly the dog went to Llewellin Setter doggie heaven 4 years ago. But, I still have the rifle for now and am now registered with username of Flintlock50.

    Thanks!
    I meant to ask: You seem to have a fairly complicated eyepiece on your rear sight. Is it some form of variable aperture?

  2. # ADS
    Friends and Sponsors
    Join Date
    October 2006
    Location
    Milsurps.Com
    Posts
    All Threads
     

  3. #12
    Member Flintlock50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Last On
    04-16-2020 @ 06:15 PM
    Location
    FJET
    Posts
    9
    Local Date
    06-07-2020
    Local Time
    12:29 AM
    Thread Starter
    Thank you Sharps45-70. The information you supplied is most appreciated. I always suspected that tracing ownership would be unlikely. Do you have any information as to when this rifle with serial number 5,000 might have been manufactured? also, any idea of how many 1905 Civilian Target Rifles might have been made? did the serial numbers include target rifles and sporters mixed in the same number range? any other information would be most appreciated.

    Also, the rifle rear sight has an adjustable aperture, as noted by vykkagur in thread above.....
    Last edited by Flintlock50; 04-10-2020 at 10:56 PM. Reason: mofe information

  4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
  5. #13
    Member vykkagur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Last On
    @
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    92
    Local Date
    06-07-2020
    Local Time
    04:29 AM
    Looks very Heath Robinson. I'm used to seeing the ones with an offset knurled wheel sticking out the side, but this one appears to have two adjusters orbiting the aperture, much more sophisticated. I couldn't find it in the BSA or Parker-Hale catalogues. Any markings on it to identify the maker?

  6. #14
    Member Sharps45-70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 03:18 PM
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    15
    Local Date
    06-07-2020
    Local Time
    01:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flintlock50 View Post
    Thank you Sharps45-70. The information you supplied is most appreciated. I always suspected that tracing ownership would be unlikely. Do you have any information as to when this rifle with serial number 5,000 might have been manufactured? also, any idea of how many 1905 Civilian Target Rifles might have been made? did the serial numbers include target rifles and sporters mixed in the same number range? any other information would be most appreciated.

    Also, the rifle rear sight has an adjustable aperture, as noted by vykkagur in thread above.....
    The serial numbers include all commercial rifle production, which is all civilian sales of target and hunting rifles. There were two major version of the military/civilian target rifles, the earlier style with the two piece handguard and a barrel mounted sight, and the later style with a single piece handguard without the barrel sight. Yours is the earlier two piece, first offered in their 1908 catalogue. I stand to be corrected, but as memory serves they changed to the single piece around 1911. According to the RRS, there were approximately 9,000 total sold by 1913. I would slug your bore, but many of the earlier rifles have .308" bored instead of the later .311/.312" unless it has a "2" barrel.

    Regarding the rear sight, there were many sights that can be found on these target rifles, practically any period target sight could be mounted. More to the point, it is common to see eyepiece modifications as individual users tinkered with their rifles.

  7. #15
    Member Flintlock50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Last On
    04-16-2020 @ 06:15 PM
    Location
    FJET
    Posts
    9
    Local Date
    06-07-2020
    Local Time
    12:29 AM
    Thread Starter
    Thanks Vykkagur & Sharps 45-70....the adjustable rear aperture was found at a gun show and used on this rifle as well as a Motty Special....I will check to see if there is a name on the aperture...It has been years since I have had the barreled action out of the stock....where would I look for "2" on the barrel? I am sure I have slugged the barrel and will have to look for my notes on bore diameter....would date of production most likely fall between 1908 and 1911?

    I am getting on in years and have been slowly finding new homes for some of my collection and the Ross will need a new home soon...is this site a good place to list for sale?

  8. #16
    Member Flintlock50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Last On
    04-16-2020 @ 06:15 PM
    Location
    FJET
    Posts
    9
    Local Date
    06-07-2020
    Local Time
    12:29 AM
    Thread Starter
    The adjustable aperture is marked on back side "Made in Englandicon" and on face with AGP. It has a removable yellow filter. The bore slugs at .3115-.312.

  9. #17
    Member vykkagur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Last On
    @
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    92
    Local Date
    06-07-2020
    Local Time
    04:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flintlock50 View Post
    The adjustable aperture is marked on back side "Made in Englandicon" and on face with AGP. It has a removable yellow filter. The bore slugs at .3115-.312.
    AGP would refer, I assume, to A.G. Parker, who later merged with A.T.C. Hale to form Parker-Hale.

  10. #18
    Member Sharps45-70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 03:18 PM
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    15
    Local Date
    06-07-2020
    Local Time
    01:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flintlock50 View Post
    Thanks Vykkagur & Sharps 45-70....the adjustable rear aperture was found at a gun show and used on this rifle as well as a Motty Special....I will check to see if there is a name on the aperture...It has been years since I have had the barreled action out of the stock....where would I look for "2" on the barrel? I am sure I have slugged the barrel and will have to look for my notes on bore diameter....would date of production most likely fall between 1908 and 1911?

    I am getting on in years and have been slowly finding new homes for some of my collection and the Ross will need a new home soon...is this site a good place to list for sale?
    The "2" would be just above or just below the serial number on the barrel. You shouldn't have to disassemble anything to find it. If there isn't one, it is the original barrel. Production would date closer to 1911, probably 1910 or 1911 due to the higher serial number for the range. Sometime in the 1908-1911 period they made the transition to the .3115 bore (1910-1911 ish) so that makes sense.

    I also sent you a PM regarding some details of your rifle.
    Last edited by Sharps45-70; 04-11-2020 at 04:49 PM.

  11. #19
    Member Flintlock50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Last On
    04-16-2020 @ 06:15 PM
    Location
    FJET
    Posts
    9
    Local Date
    06-07-2020
    Local Time
    12:29 AM
    Thread Starter

    Ross Mark 2 ** Civilian Target Rifle

    Pictures of Ross Mark 2** Civilian Target Rifle

    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ross (1).jpg‎
Views:	32
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	107019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ross (3).jpg‎
Views:	29
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	107020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ross (5).jpg‎
Views:	31
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	107021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ross (6).jpg‎
Views:	28
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	107022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ross (4).jpg‎
Views:	29
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	107024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ross (2).jpg‎
Views:	20
Size:	2.91 MB
ID:	107025  
    Last edited by Flintlock50; 04-11-2020 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Additional Picture

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. 1905 target(?) Ross:JoeSalter
    By AGB-1 in forum Commercial Auction and Sale "Gossip"
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-29-2019, 10:40 AM
  2. Canadian Model 1905/1910 Mark 11 Ross Rifle Bayonet
    By Howie in forum WTS/WTB/WTT (Want to Sell, Buy or Trade) Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2018, 02:47 PM
  3. 1905 Ross Mark II** Target Rifle With History, Empress of Ireland - Halifax Explosion
    By Ian Kinder in forum The Ross Rifle Knowledge Library Collectors Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-31-2012, 01:51 PM
  4. 1905 Ross Mark II** Target Rifle With History, Empress of Ireland - Halifax Explosion
    By Albayo in forum The Ross Rifle Knowledge Library Collectors Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-15-2012, 05:45 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts