I recently picked up my first 1903 on Gunbroker that dates to 1915 with what appears to be original barrel. Inspector stamp is consistent with date. Are the other parts original? Please take a look at the description and pics and share your wisdom...Thanks!

It is a 2 bolt stock, but it has been suggested to me that maybe the second bolt was added when re-arsenaled (and maybe the rifle was parkerized then?). The "S31" steel lot code on the bolt lug indicates a date of 1907ish according to vishooter.net. Does that mean that the bolt is not original to the rifle? Also, there appears to be a "2" stamped under the bolt handle. There is a 'R" stamped in the mag cutoff recess. There is a "U" stamped on the barrel band. There is a "H" stamped on the bayo lug. There is a "R" stamped on the right sight of the front sight guard. Is the sling original? Also, I was very surprised to find a spare parts container in the buttstock (Had to look it up when I discovered it because I didnt' know what it was). Apparantly they are rare? It's in good condition and looks very old so I'm convinced it's not a repro. I'm pretty sure the seller didn't know it was in there as he did not include it in the listing description or pictures. I sent him an email about it a few days ago but he has yet to respond. I paid $1250 for the rifle. Did I pay too much? Nobody else bid so I'm thinking either it was way overpriced or something is not right about it. Thanks guys!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.