Thought this forum would be the best place to ask advice before I do anything....

I'm building a project out of a Lithgow sporter in very good condition, which I wanted to restore to full wood as close as possible. The main reason is that I want to make a number of accuracy enhancing modifications for my own interest, and I've got lots of info from various books and articles, with tips and tweaks long forgotten about. I'm not interested in buying the replica timber they sell in Australiaicon for ridiculous prices, and then having to source all the fittings on top of that. So the plan was to buy a shot out full wood with a mis matched bolt that had no collectable value and simply use it as a donor rifle. However.....

A 1920 Siamese issue SMLE ( BSA ), came my way very inexpensively and appears to be perfect for what I need. The barrel is totally worn out and corroded and has a non matching bolt, but otherwise appears untouched and completely original, right down to the stacking swivel on the nose cap. I've read and been told these are quite uncommon now, and have began to have doubts about using it for my project. Should I just keep it for history's sake, and keep looking? Are they really that uncommon...any advice would be greatly appreciated
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.