+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Type 99 Range Report

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    Member Jet Fixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last On
    02-11-2021 @ 02:56 PM
    Posts
    65
    Local Date
    02-27-2021
    Local Time
    08:27 AM

    Type 99 Range Report

    Finally got the "new to me" long rifle to the range. Made a box of handloads using IMR4895 varying from 43 to 45.5 grains pushing 150 grain Speer softpoints. The best group was the 45 grain group measuring about 1.5 inches at 50 yds.



    I did notice though that there seemed to be a fair amount of soot on the cases. I don't see any signs of bulging or splitting anywhere. The primers don't seem to be popping or flattened.

    This is my first Japaneseicon rifle and I haven't seen sooted cases like this on my other rifles, so I'm curious if there is an issue with the chamber or headspace. It did seem to get better as the loads got heavier.


  2. # ADS
    Friends and Sponsors
    Join Date
    October 2006
    Posts
    All Threads
    Banner AD Space Available - Click HERE to Inquire Family owned and operated since 1962, Simpson LTD is the largest collector firearms store in the Midwest. Our globally sourced inventory represents many eras, with an emphasis on World War II and our favorite firearm, the Luger, of which we typically have 2,500 in stock.  Inventory changes daily with 10,000 firearms ready to ship; along with accessories, militaria, and hundreds of book titles. We also offer appraisals, consignment services ranging from single items to full collections, and we are one of the most reliable and competitively priced import and export services available.  We do not offer parts or gunsmithing, but we have a little bit of everything else. Visit our website for more information and our new technical video series Speaking Luger, and like Simpson Ltd on Facebook for updates, previews, and more. LIMITED TIME OFFER FROM THE AMERICAN GUNSMITHING INSTITUTE: Get Immediate Online Access To AGI's NEW Armorer's Course for Glock Pistols, Covering Every Generation of Glocks, Including the Latest Model 42/43 and Double Stack Pistols for ONLY $7.00! Brian Dick ... BDL Ltd. - Specializing in British and Commonwealth weapons Chuck in Denver ... Buy-Sell-Trade .. Guns, Cars Motorcycles Your source for the finest in High Power Competition Gear. Here at T-bones Shipwrighting we specialise in vintage service rifle: re-barrelling, bedding, repairs, modifications and accurizing. We also provide importation services for firearms, parts and weapons, for both private or commercial businesses. Banner AD Space Available - Click HERE to Inquire
     

  3. #2
    Advisory Panel Parashooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last On
    Today @ 02:03 AM
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    76
    Posts
    646
    Local Date
    02-27-2021
    Local Time
    11:27 AM
    Two likely causes of sooty cases -
    1. Pressure too low to expand cases fully.
    2. Brass too hard in neck/shoulder; needs annealing. (Not uncommon with PPU brand.)

    Nothing in photos indicates chamber/headspace problem.

  4. Thank You to Parashooter For This Useful Post:


  5. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
  6. #3
    Member Jet Fixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last On
    02-11-2021 @ 02:56 PM
    Posts
    65
    Local Date
    02-27-2021
    Local Time
    08:27 AM
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Parashooter View Post
    Two likely causes of sooty cases -
    1. Pressure too low to expand cases fully.
    2. Brass too hard in neck/shoulder; needs annealing. (Not uncommon with PPU brand.)

    Nothing in photos indicates chamber/headspace problem.
    My load table says the max load for my combination is 48 grains. The closest I got was 45.5. Yesterday I built up from 46 to 48 in half grain increments. I'll give them a try and see what happens.

    I did notice that there were three cases that were significantly more bulged at the head than the others when I ran them back through the FL resizer die. Took a little more effort to get the ram down.

  7. #4
    Member BJung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Last On
    02-13-2021 @ 01:28 PM
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9
    Local Date
    02-27-2021
    Local Time
    08:27 AM

    Range Report update request

    Hello, I found your thread by chance and would like to know what your latest range results for your T99 currently is.

    I started shooting test loads in my T99 again and would like to share information with you.

    My first tests used Speer 150gr SP .311 bullets and resized military brass. The initial brass was sooty but by just neck sizing the fireformed brass, the cases were less so. My accuracy at 50 yards was the same as yours, about 1-1/2" at 50 yards. I forgot which powder I used but I think it was the same powder.

    I slugged my barrel and it came out to .3115". Hornady .312 bullets shoot better groups than the .311 Speer bullets. The heavier 174grain bullets were more accurate than the 150grain bullets. I tried the Barnes .311 TTX bullets and results were ok. Woodleigh has a .312 all copper bullet I might try if I can't find a Hornady GMX .312" bullet. I use Reloader 15 and 19.

  8. Thank You to BJung For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last On
    Today @ 10:50 AM
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    25,133
    Local Date
    02-27-2021
    Local Time
    08:27 AM
    Not so often you see a range report on a Japaneseicon rifle, so this is interesting. Yes, seems to be a bit of gas blow-by causing sooting... Primers are also a bit rounded at the back so pressures aren't up to flatten them like regular pressures do.
    Regards, Jim

  10. #6
    Member Jet Fixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last On
    02-11-2021 @ 02:56 PM
    Posts
    65
    Local Date
    02-27-2021
    Local Time
    08:27 AM
    Thread Starter
    I have loaded some others up to 48 grains but havent shot them yet to see the difference.

  11. #7
    Really Senior Member Calif-Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last On
    02-18-2021 @ 03:37 PM
    Posts
    2,448
    Local Date
    02-27-2021
    Local Time
    11:27 AM
    These are .30-06 cases? Or PPU 7.7mm cases. I shot my 7.7mm Type 99 with PPU cases and no trouble to report. It was an very early (1939/40) Hiroshima gun and near mint. Very well made, as well.

  12. #8
    Contributing Member Ovidio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last On
    Today @ 09:15 AM
    Location
    Pordenone, Italy
    Posts
    1,541
    Local Date
    02-27-2021
    Local Time
    05:27 PM
    Real Name
    Ovidio Gentiloni
    Very interesting indeed, thanks for sharing.
    34a cp., btg. Susa, 3° rgt. Alpini

  13. #9
    Really Senior Member bob q's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last On
    Today @ 09:58 AM
    Location
    north texas
    Posts
    312
    Local Date
    02-27-2021
    Local Time
    12:27 PM
    I did not know there was that much interest in the test shooting of Arisakaicon's . I have load tested my over 250 Type 99 rifles and 80 ish Type 30's and 38's . With the 6.5 rifles I have many that show great accuracy and have won matches with some . I once shot an original Type 97 as a 2nd rifle in a national Benchrest match . I did a five shot group average with 5 targets of 0.875 and a best group of 0.63 . Type -99's are not inaccurate as a rifle , but are hard to get a good group average with the large peep sight . I can cut my groups in half with a small hole clip on aperture for the rear sight . 6.5mm rifle are all over the board on what bullet and load they like depending on bore size and what type barrel they have on them . The 7.7mm's seem to fall into two groups , chrome bores and non-chrome . In most 7.7mm rifles the Hornady .312 150 sp in the best bullet , the .312 174 rn will help with some really large bore rifles . Speer bullets are bad and the Sierra's are just ok . With the chrome rifles it seems the faster you shoot them the better they shoot .

    ---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

    Also for the OP . Type -99's have large to extra large chambers and PPU cases are too small , plus dies make the case too small . You can see the soot ring around the case head where it was too small to seal and did not expand enough . Neck sizing fired cases with a 7.62x54r die will help .

  14. #10
    Member Jet Fixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last On
    02-11-2021 @ 02:56 PM
    Posts
    65
    Local Date
    02-27-2021
    Local Time
    08:27 AM
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Calif-Steve View Post
    These are .30-06 cases? Or PPU 7.7mm cases. I shot my 7.7mm Type 99 with PPU cases and no trouble to report. It was an very early (1939/40) Hiroshima gun and near mint. Very well made, as well.
    Not 30.06 cases. PPU 7.7.

    ---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by bob q View Post
    I did not know there was that much interest in the test shooting of Arisakaicon's . I have load tested my over 250 Type 99 rifles and 80 ish Type 30's and 38's . With the 6.5 rifles I have many that show great accuracy and have won matches with some . I once shot an original Type 97 as a 2nd rifle in a national Benchrest match . I did a five shot group average with 5 targets of 0.875 and a best group of 0.63 . Type -99's are not inaccurate as a rifle , but are hard to get a good group average with the large peep sight . I can cut my groups in half with a small hole clip on aperture for the rear sight . 6.5mm rifle are all over the board on what bullet and load they like depending on bore size and what type barrel they have on them . The 7.7mm's seem to fall into two groups , chrome bores and non-chrome . In most 7.7mm rifles the Hornady .312 150 sp in the best bullet , the .312 174 rn will help with some really large bore rifles . Speer bullets are bad and the Sierra's are just ok . With the chrome rifles it seems the faster you shoot them the better they shoot .

    ---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

    Also for the OP . Type -99's have large to extra large chambers and PPU cases are too small , plus dies make the case too small . You can see the soot ring around the case head where it was too small to seal and did not expand enough . Neck sizing fired cases with a 7.62x54r die will help .
    I have never neck sized any brass. I only have full length dies. I have heard that you can neck size with a FL die. Is that true, and if so how do you do it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 4T range report
    By smle addict in forum The Lee Enfield Knowledge Library Collectors Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-26-2016, 10:27 AM
  2. P-14 Range Report
    By MeatMarket in forum Pattern 1913/1914 and M1917 Rifles
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-31-2011, 06:12 AM
  3. T99 range report
    By TerryS in forum Japanese Rifles
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-02-2011, 09:57 PM
  4. Range report
    By mustanggt in forum M1 Garand/M14/M1A Rifles
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-28-2011, 11:07 PM
  5. Range report on M39 @ 100 yds.
    By scrmblerkari in forum Range Reports - Show us how good you are!
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-18-2010, 09:52 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts