Hello everyone! Question for the Enfield gurus out there.

I recently got a P17 Winchester sporter with a cosmetically worn-out stock, which I'd like to replace. The gun has a flat trigger guard but retained its military barrel. I'm in the process of checking out the action, headspace, bolt, etc. before firing it. So far so good, and if everything checks out, I'd like to put a new sporter stock on it.

I've emailed several stock makers, but none have answered my question about fitting a new stock, specifically the barrel channel. I'm thinking the military barrel contour is bigger than most sporter replacement barrels. If this is true, then I have two choices.

1. Go with a military barrel channel model, which for those I've contacted means using a
stepped trigger guard and (I assume) a deeper mag box, longer screws, etc.

2. Go with a sporter barrel channel model, which means I don't need to change the guard
or mag box, but would require carefully opening up the barrel channel.

Do these choices sound reasonable? Am I missing anything? If a sporter barrel is actually bigger than original military, then option 1 is the only real choice.

I'd do the detail letting-in and finishing myself, but re-contouring for a larger barrel would be a challenge. What do you think?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.