Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Really Senior Member jon_norstog's Avatar
    Last On
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Local Date
    09-21-2020
    Local Time
    08:32 PM
    Here are some empties. The ones on top are WW factory 180 gr. loads. They chronoed between 2300 and 2400 fps. You can see some primer flattening there.

Below are some empty elk loads. They were 43.5 gr of AA 4350 behind a 200 Hornady RN. Primers were CCI and Remington. They chrono-ed around or below 2,000 fps. I've gone up to 42 H4350, but where we hunt 65 yards is a long shot.

I'm not convinced about the accuracy of my brother's cheap Chrono, but it detects a 10-20 fps variability in my black powder loads.

jn

2. # ADS
    Friends and Sponsors

Last On
    Local Date
    09-21-2020
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by butlersrangers View Post
    "Jon" - Could you comment more about the "Remington-Lee you use to hunt with".

I am assuming it was in .30-40 and with the forward 'locking-lugs' you felt the action strong enough for near .308 loads?

Was your Remington-Lee a factory sporter or a cut-down military configuration.

I have seen a number of cut-down model 1899 Remington-Lee rifles, that were from the Michigan National Guard contract. The stocks are often split at the side of the wrist, behind the action.
    Butler, this gun was definitely a cut-down military rifle. I bought it at Ron Petersen's shop on Central in Albuquerque. There was something wrong with the chamber - someone had got in there with a drill to "improve" the round, maybe. I badgered Ron into satisfying his guarantee and he sent it off the the Bedeaux Arquebusiers to make it right. They turned the barrel and cut a new, tight chamber, got the heads[pace perfect and blued it. It turned out to be a beautiful gun, much lighter than the Kragicon, and one that came to the shoulder very easily. I liked the detachable magazine, too, made the gun easy to unload, no chasing your shells in the snow and mud. Would have been a great hunting rifle if Lee had designed in a safety you could work with the gun at your shoulder.

I "lent" the rifle and a couple boxes of ammo to a kid, son of a lady friend, and told him he could use it as long as he wants. I advised him to take a stand so he could pull back the striker when he saw an animal. He still has the gun. His mom has a .308 which is what he will probably use for elk.

The 30-40 and the .308 have almost identical case capacities which is why I tried the .308 loads. I never used max loads and paid attention to signs of pressure. I decided if I want to shoot a .308, just buy one, there's plenty of them out there.

jn

4. Thank You to jon_norstog For This Useful Post:

5. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Really Senior Member butlersrangers's Avatar
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 09:34 AM
    Local Date
    09-21-2020
    Local Time
    11:32 PM
    Jon - That is a nice looking Remington- Lee 'Hunting' rifle that you own.

Did someone improvise a recoil-lug & Stock 'cross-bolt' to protect the wood from splitting?

The numbers and survival rate of 'smokeless' Remington-Lee rifles is small. From observation, I find the design to have a fair number of vulnerable parts and weaknesses.

The Remington design never got the development and improvement that perfected arms made at National Armories, like the Lee-Enfield and Kragicon.

I am in the process of restoring a Michigan National Guard model 1899 Remington-Lee rifle with a rather nice stock, that is free of cracks and splits - (2nd picture).

The first attached photo is another 'cut-down' rifle with typical stock damage.

7. Thank You to butlersrangers For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Local Date
    09-21-2020
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by butlersrangers View Post
    Jon - That is a nice looking Remington- Lee 'Hunting' rifle that you own.

Did someone improvise a recoil-lug & Stock 'cross-bolt' to protect the wood from splitting?

The numbers and survival rate of 'smokeless' Remington-Lee rifles is small. From observation, I find the design to have a fair number of vulnerable parts and weaknesses.

The Remington design never got the development and improvement that perfected arms made at National Armories, like the Lee-Enfield and Kragicon.

I am in the process of restoring a Michigan National Guard model 1899 Remington-Lee rifle with a rather nice stock, that is free of cracks and splits - (2nd picture).

The first attached photo is another 'cut-down' rifle with typical stock damage.

Attachment 111127Attachment 111128
    There was no cross-bolt or recoil lug. The gun was probably fired very little. It had no serial number, just a 3-digit number stamped in the wood of the stock. Maybe it was part of an order that fell through.

Among design flaws, besides the unwieldy safety I would include the tiny little extractor which didn't always hold the shell rim so the ejector could do its work. When that happens the spent shell sits there and prevents you from loading a follow-up shot.

jn

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6