Hi All,

I've aquired a fairly intreging 1917 LSA MKIII. The barrel is definitely South African (and pristine condition, as is most of the metalwork - with some strange discrepencies - see the technical question below). Trying to work out some unusual markings on the Knox form and the butt. Firstly, on the butt, I have a butt rondel with ISA - Ian Skennertonicon has Ishpore as SAI, but does indicate that there may be diffent content of the rondel dependent on era. While I'm fairly convinced that this is an Ishapore marking, it does raise a question when looking at the knox form. This has S.A.P stamped over what could be a U arrow, but only half formed, so not convinced it is the South African Union mark. Is this also Indian? First assumption, of course, is that the SAP is South African Police, but given relations between the two countries were, at best, frosty from 1948 onwards, it does beg the question as to how we get a mix of SA and Indian marks on the receiver and butt. Is the SAP and the weird semi-U not South African, but Indian (Simple explaination then on the barrel which is South African, could have recently been replaced by a civvie owner)? Or is the butt rondel (highly unlikely) related to SAI as in SA Infantry?

The other question I have is technical. I discovered that the centre barrel band is missing - not sure what the logic there is - assume that whoever replaced the barrel would have understood that the barrel retaining band should have been there, so was it deliberately ommited? Anyone come across that before on Indian or SA rifles? Trying to float the barrel completely or similar? Got a bit of a farmyard smell when the trader told me it was super accurate in spite of the missing band. Surely such a departure from SMLE design would have very unpredicable results with the light barrel? Also spotted the fore-end cap was missing, which I suspect could have been the result of a whippier than normal barrel, but would be interested to know if there was any thought behind this? Not a show-stopper as will get those bits sorted - intending to put Gibbs sights on this rifle, so not going to have anything that is not 100% in that area.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.