I've have a trio of M95 straight-pull carbines...two Steyrs and a Budapest. All refurbs in 8x56R chambering.

Anyhow...the Budapest and one of the Steyr carbines work slick...the one peculiar Steyr has a bolt issue and tends to drag in the action because the bolt head is wanting to rotate all the time(if that makes sense?)....most noticeable when you remove the bolt because as soon s the bolt head clears it rotates and causes problems. I can pull the head back into foreword position and the bolt will insert back into the receiver fine. However you can feel the bolt wanting to rotate as soon as you open the action. The gun does work fine otherwise....just has something worn or out of whack with the bolt.

I took the bolt apart and cleaned the cosmolineicon out and inspected the parts....managed to get it back together. In my minds eye it looks like the extractor is the part that detents the bolt head in open position....and mine might be worn or wonky. Cleaning and lube didn't help.

So all three carbines have Steyr marked bolts(the Budapest may have a Budapest bolt head)......I thought about simply swapping another bolt into the carbine with the issue(just to see if the drag issue goes away and not to shoot)....or maybe stripping the problem bolt down and trying an extractor from one of the other bolts in it. So maybe my first question is just how interchangeable are M95 bolts and parts?

Any advise on the issue as far as cause and cure?

Thanx HT
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.