I have been going through my cabinets cleaning stuff out, and was looking at a Brown Bess India Pattern I have had for a few years. It has QLI F 47 on the buttplate tang, in the Britishicon unit assignation style. I did a Google search and hit on a Brown Bess bayonet in the Niagara Museum which also has a QLI on the tang, that one H company, so clearly it was some regiment which spent time around Eastern Canadaicon. They don't have any more information on what it means. I am assuming it is a British regiment which was here during the time of the war of 1812, but I can't find any such record. I was thinking maybe Queen's Light Infantry, except it wasn't a Queen on the throne at that time and there doesn't seem to be such a thing that I can find. Quebec didn't have a Light Infantry at that time that I can find. Most of the Canadian/colonial units at that time were volunteer militias (Lunenburg, Sunbury, etc) and branded their muskets on the wood of the stock.

I wondered about Australianicon units but don't see one which matches either, and nor would that explain how it got to Canada. I don't find anything in Manarey's Handbook of Identification Marks on Canadian Arms either.

Anyone got any ideas what this might mean?

Thanks!

Ed
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.