Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Last On
    Yesterday @ 05:18 PM
    Local Date
    05-14-2024
    Local Time
    04:30 PM
    Seeing the image of the "Wall of Death" reminds me of my relative who, in the late 1930's rode on the handlebars of motorbikes performing in the "Wall of Death" and who, later, went on to become a founder member of the Parachute Regiment. But what is the name given to someone who rides on the handlebar of a motorbike? Someone who rides on the back of a motorbike is called a "pillion rider" and, therefore, in theory, there should be a word or words to describe someone who rides on the front, i.e. the handlebars. I've never heard any words to describe a motorcycle passenger who rides the machine in front of the person operating the controls, but, thinking on my feet, suggest handlebar-surfer. Can anyone else make a better suggestion or is there a correct word/s. Many thanks.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Last On
    05-12-2024 @ 03:32 PM
    Local Date
    05-14-2024
    Local Time
    04:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying10uk View Post
    Seeing the image of the "Wall of Death" reminds me of my relative who, in the late 1930's rode on the handlebars of motorbikes performing in the "Wall of Death" and who, later, went on to become a founder member of the Parachute Regiment. But what is the name given to someone who rides on the handlebar of a motorbike? Someone who rides on the back of a motorbike is called a "pillion rider" and, therefore, in theory, there should be a word or words to describe someone who rides on the front, i.e. the handlebars. I've never heard any words to describe a motorcycle passenger who rides the machine in front of the person operating the controls, but, thinking on my feet, suggest handlebar-surfer. Can anyone else make a better suggestion or is there a correct word/s. Many thanks.
    I doubt there is an official term, so handlebar-surfer seems as good as any.
    I have some friends who actually live down your neck of the woods that actually own and operate a vintage 1920's-30's era Wall of Death with vintage Indian motorcycles etc., so will ask on FB if there is an official term......other than just lunatic
    Just the thing for putting round holes in square heads.

3. Thank You to GeeRam For This Useful Post:

4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
+ Reply to Thread