Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Last On
    03-29-2021 @ 03:01 PM
    Local Date
    05-13-2024
    Local Time
    10:43 AM
    “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” is Rule Number One.
    Wolff's biggest advantage is that they don't treat Canadianicon like lepers. Order something and they send it. Mind you, I've never had any issue with my Plainfield a bath didn't fix. Never had to replace any spring.
    A great deal will depend on which spring you think needs replacing. Springs do not lose temper from being compressed.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Spelling and Grammar count!

2. Thank You to Sunray For This Useful Post:

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    @
    Local Date
    05-13-2024
    Local Time

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Springs do not lose temper from being compressed
    Another False statement

Simple Metallurgy

Tempering: is usually performed after hardening, to reduce some of the excess hardness, and is done by heating the metal to some temperature below the critical point for a certain period of time, then allowing it to cool.

Springs: Under tension for an extended period of time can become weaker. Springs are specifically designed to contract under load in order to absorb energy from outside stress, then return to their natural state when the load is released.

Spring Fatigue: Over a long enough period of time, fatigue can occur, which is a condition where enough stress has repeatedly acted on the object and some deformation becomes permanent. In this case, it is harder to regain its complete normal shape. This is essentially what happens when a spring wears out. Any corrosion on the spring will advance this condition.

I've never had any issue with my Plainfield a bath didn't fix. Never had to replace any spring.
    While your Plainfield sits in your closet for another 4 or 5 years, with the action closed. You only have 2 Springs under partial load - The Op Slide Stop pin 'Friction Spring' and the Trigger spring.

Obviously you've never turned the crank on a old motor to relieve / alternate the pressure on valve springs. Ever measure a old valve spring next to a new one ?
    Ever sleep on a steel spring coil mattress ? If not go try it, the local dump is full of them. Why would those springs go bad ? The answer is from extended compression leading to fatigue.

Temper, The way a smith or manufacturer would temper steel or other metal, was to improve the hardness and elasticity by reheating and then cooling it. When it ages you have metal fatigue and loss of some elasticity, known as 'Creep' / 'Memory' to those who know. Any bending, distorting or kinking of the spring will hinder elasticity also.

In TM9-1276_1947 ,
    Every spring
    has it's ID, OD, Free Length, Number of Coils, Mean Assembled Height, Load at Assembled Height, Operating Height, and Load at Operating Height: Measurements, Lengths etc. Listed.
    Page 35, Section 25 Under 'Inspection and Replacement of Springs' Covers Inspection and Replacing the Springs.
    The Overhaul Chart describes Inspection and Upgrading Springs.
    These are recommended Repair, Replace, Inspection and Rebuild guidelines for 5-6 year old Carbines.

TM9-1276_1947: http://www.90thidpg.us/Reference/Man...-1276_1947.pdf

Best to store your action with the Hammer, Bolt / Op Slide forward. So the Compression load is off most all the springs.
    I wouldn't recommend leaving fully packed magazines for long extended time periods. Best to rotate the magazines you leave some loads in.

I posted this so you wouldn't be confused by the other reply.

FWIW
    Charlie-Painter777

A Country Has No Greater Responsibility Than To Care For Those Who Served...

4. The Following 3 Members Say Thank You to painter777 For This Useful Post:

5. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    03-17-2023 @ 01:56 PM
    Local Date
    05-13-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by painter777 View Post
    Another False statement

Simple Metallurgy

Tempering: is usually performed after hardening, to reduce some of the excess hardness, and is done by heating the metal to some temperature below the critical point for a certain period of time, then allowing it to cool.

Springs: Under tension for an extended period of time can become weaker. Springs are specifically designed to contract under load in order to absorb energy from outside stress, then return to their natural state when the load is released.

Spring Fatigue: Over a long enough period of time, fatigue can occur, which is a condition where enough stress has repeatedly acted on the object and some deformation becomes permanent. In this case, it is harder to regain its complete normal shape. This is essentially what happens when a spring wears out. Any corrosion on the spring will advance this condition.

While your Plainfield sits in your closet for another 4 or 5 years, with the action closed. You only have 2 Springs under partial load - The Op Slide Stop pin 'Friction Spring' and the Trigger spring.

Obviously you've never turned the crank on a old motor to relieve / alternate the pressure on valve springs. Ever measure a old valve spring next to a new one ?
    Ever sleep on a steel spring coil mattress ? If not go try it, the local dump is full of them. Why would those springs go bad ? The answer is from extended compression leading to fatigue.

Temper, The way a smith or manufacturer would temper steel or other metal, was to improve the hardness and elasticity by reheating and then cooling it. When it ages you have metal fatigue and loss of some elasticity, known as 'Creep' / 'Memory' to those who know. Any bending, distorting or kinking of the spring will hinder elasticity also.

In TM9-1276_1947 ,
    Every spring
    has it's ID, OD, Free Length, Number of Coils, Mean Assembled Height, Load at Assembled Height, Operating Height, and Load at Operating Height: Measurements, Lengths etc. Listed.
    Page 35, Section 25 Under 'Inspection and Replacement of Springs' Covers Inspection and Replacing the Springs.
    The Overhaul Chart describes Inspection and Upgrading Springs.
    These are recommended Repair, Replace, Inspection and Rebuild guidelines for 5-6 year old Carbines.

TM9-1276_1947: http://www.90thidpg.us/Reference/Man...-1276_1947.pdf

Best to store your action with the Hammer, Bolt / Op Slide forward. So the Compression load is off most all the springs.
    I wouldn't recommend leaving fully packed magazines for long extended time periods. Best to rotate the magazines you leave some loads in.

I posted this so you wouldn't be confused by the other reply.

FWIW
    Hola Carlito,

I really appreciate your support, thank you for this awesome and complete feedback.

Cheers compadre

Last On
    03-17-2023 @ 01:56 PM
    Local Date
    05-13-2024
    Local Time
    “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” is Rule Number One.
    Wolff's biggest advantage is that they don't treat Canadianicon like lepers. Order something and they send it. Mind you, I've never had any issue with my Plainfield a bath didn't fix. Never had to replace any spring.
    A great deal will depend on which spring you think needs replacing. Springs do not lose temper from being compressed.
    Lol Sunray, thank you.

Eddie

+ Reply to Thread