Well, looks like a made a rookie mistake when I purchased that Remington 721 in 300 H&H . I guess my excitement of finding it over-shot my common sense. I did look down the bore but did not notice the ware nor did I bring my bore gauges with me (I was too far in the drive by the time I remembered).

Took the rifle out to the range last Friday and zeroed it at 100. The zero seemed to shift and I thought perhaps it was the vintage Bushnell scope. I could not even hit a 17"X17" target at 300.

Getting it home and cleaning it I noticed that the muzzle was gray, not shiny. Then found that I found that the first 1/2" from the muzzle is worn to the point that a bullet head will fall into it without issue. There is no throat erosion at the other end, I have not slugged the barrel yet though. I'm disappointed in myself , but again its not easy to come by these in California so I'll just make the best of it.

I was wondering if anyone had a source for replacement barrels, new, used, or aftermarket for the Remington 721 in 300 H&H. Worse case I was thinking of counter-boring the existing barrel if the slugging shows it within spec. That is if I can find a competent gunsmith to do it; I do not have access to a lathe otherwise I would have it done already.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.