Real Name
    Ed Evans
    Local Date
    05-20-2024
    Local Time
    03:23 AM

The other guys first 1917.

Attachment 119556
    My next project showed up today. A mixed up 1917 ‘sporter’, I use that term loosely as I think its a semi finished sporter. Bubba got distracted. The action is a Remington but it has some eddystone E’s on it but it’s in a mostly unmolested Winchester stock [some sanding but not cut off]. Serial number is 87619. Barrel date is 1-8 but I think it’s 1-18 with a very faint 1. All the steel military pieces have been removed from the action forward and a Williams ramp sight base has been screwed into the bbl. I’ll have a visible screw hole to fill in when it gets parked, the other screw was in the key slot so the sight will hide it. The sad thing is that the tips of the rear sight’s ears have been ground off?? I don’t know if they can be replaced. I removed the Williams base and installed an upper band and a correct front sight which went right on nice and tight. I also tore the bolt down and swapped the killer mainspring out with a spare cut spring from an ‘03 or Kragicon. Really big improvement. The bore has good rifling but is dark. Cleaning is definitely required. As soon as the rain breaks this weekend I’ll try shooting it. The handguards are a mismatch so I’ll have them to mess with along with a stock refinish. Might recut the grasping grooves.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by baltimoreed; 08-20-2021 at 06:07 PM.
    “Give’em hell, Pike.”