Specifically about wood-to-metal contact in the area "around" the tang...I mean the wings, or the flared undersides, not the underside where where the rear screw is. Doco and I were chatting and couldn't reach an answer.

I've fit several stocks now, and I always try to get uniform contact around the flared part, and light compression under, with the bushing sitting ~1/8 below the woodline. My results speak for themselves...it works. With a good USGI barrel, I've never failed to make a wonderful shooter.

I ask the question for 2 reasons. First, I have a few NOS keystone scants I plan to use on a few current project rifles. Inletting is spot on everywhere, basically just have shave the flat a little to get the perfect contact at the muzzle. However, there isn't material on the wings to get contact on the tang flare. Also, there is no room to lower the action to get contact...the gap between magazine and receiver is exact all around...any lower and there will be metal-to-metal on the base of the receiver, which will be the death of accuracy. If contact on the wings don't matter, I will be a very happy person and my rifles will thank me for finally finding/fitting an original stock.

Second...I can't find any mention of contact in this area in period sources. Howe's "Modern Gunsmithing" describes hand-making a sporting stock from a blank with even contact all around the receiver...and calls attention to bushing and contact under the tang...nothing specific about the wings. Hudson's "Modern Marksmanship From the American Perspective" was published in 1903, and describes accurizing the Kragicon. He mentions contact around the tang of the krag is important to prevent lateral movement of the receiver under recoil. This makes sense given the inletting of the Krag..there really is no other "tight" fitting area until the lower band to prevent lateral movement given the screws are so far back.

I'm guessing it doesn't matter...every NOS USGI stock I've handled does not have contact. However, I only have Remingtons. I've seen pictures of Springfield and Rock Islands that look like the wings of the tang are concave (certainly not intended for contact with the wood), whereas the A3 and Remington 1903 are convex (which would lend itself to contact). But, I can never tell for sure whether or not its just a bad pic or shadow. Here is an example
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.