I collect canteens of course, nothing particular, still basically looking for one of each type although I'm slowly accumulating quite a few US aluminum canteens.

These are my three most recent although I don't think anyone calls the modern camelback a canteen. It is sort of an evolution from the WWII experimental canteen. This is a 2 quart version, they also made a 5 quart version and while not issued during WWII, they didn't discard the idea and they were used more extensively in Vietnam.

Polish WWII canteens are tough. They made them well into modern times and are a nice canteen in that they could be used for soups and other things due to the large mouth. This one is dated 1938, the 43 is an inspection mark. It has a small hole in the bottom that I hope to get fixed, due to the denting, not any particular corrosion.

I didn't even know the experimental canteen existed. The carriers are fairly easily found but rarely the canteen. Most descriptions say they are clear vinyl but that's the Vietnam version. This is rubberized canvas. Appears to be flexible, sound and never used. I'm a bit leery of messing with it as I don't know how much it can take after 75 years. It is folded up in the case.

The camelback I've watched around for thinking it would be nice to have but never really wanted a used one. They are surprisingly inexpensive brand new. About $50 bought separate with free shipping. Will I ever use it? I have to figure it out first but deer season is a strong possibility. I'm always managing to get myself into a situation I don't have water and want it despite having actual canteens I take and then decide not to pack in figuring the truck is close enough. A mile and a half later a dead deer and blood all over my hands and I'm having regrets.

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.