Last On
    Today @ 06:41 AM
    Real Name
    Steve
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    09:59 AM
    Here's my issue with buying a new stock besides the price. I'll have to cut it at the muzzle end 1/2" because of the barrel setback which unless these were commonly done by the arsenal is going to ruin the stock for any future use on an unaltered firearm. Maybe it makes no difference, I don't know at this point but as I haven't seen another example of one with a barrel set back it is a concern. Is this particular rifle going to hold collector value or not as is with a set back barrel.

I have the wood working skills to make a fore end, so that's not an issue. I still need the front band but I've been told these are around and I'm patient.

Given all the alternatives, I'd love to plunk down $550 and be done with it but a lot going on right now here. I need more information before I can proceed with spending that much on a stock.

My general purposes for collecting these is I put on occasional presentations and I like having examples of the major types. Beat up as this is, it will suffice for now.

And I'm not saying I can't be talked into it. I know very little about Ross rifles. If this one will be worth the sum of it's parts including the stock in it's slightly altered state, I might be willing to get the new stock. And I suppose I could leave it full length and never put a bayonet on the rifle as another option.

So, all the above being said, what's the consensus on restoration and value. I'm not in it to sell it, but I don't want to take a bath on it either. Someday, someone, whether it is me, my wife, or my kids will have to dispose of this and I'd rather I or they get a fair return rather than a loss.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 12:22 PM
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    06:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn243 View Post
    I'll have to cut it at the muzzle end 1/2" because of the barrel setback
    I missed that part, yes, that's a definite drawback and problem. It would be neat and not unlike the Kragicon I bought and created a school gun from. It too had been cut back so I put in the work and set up to take a bayonet too...lots of hand work.
    Regards, Jim

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
+ Reply to Thread