Not a detailed review, but today I received the beautiful large format The Sten book published by Schiffer. Schiffer is well-known for turning out a LOT of trash, but this book is quite nice on first skim. Schiffer's copyright date is 2018, but I only heard about it last week. About $25 on Amazon.

Probably more "coffee table book" than technical description in 79 numbered pages. The photography is gorgeous; mostly of Stens, Lanchesters, and other guns in the Royal Army Museum of Brussels, so many of the guns are not the ones we usually see photographed. Contents include the Lanchester, most of the Sten models (excluding the SOE/CISA), Patchett, non-Brit copies, and the Australianicon variations (Owen, etc.).

It has a useful amount of technical information in addition to the pretty pics. I have just about every Sten book ever published and picked up a few technical tidbits here that I've not seen anywhere else.

Peter's book (if you can find a copy; currently going for $500 to $1650 [not typos]) obviously remains the Sten "bible," but to be fair this book does not try to replicate what he provides us. IMO Guillou's book is a decent first or "only" Sten book for your collection. Roughly evenly split between technical material and history, with most of the history focusing on resistance forces use.

I think this is well worth $25.

If you read Frenchicon, the book was originally published as La Sten: L'Arme de la Résistance by RÉGI Arm in 2015.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.