Recently got my first P38. It is a Frenchicon/Mauser SVW 45. I was after a P1, but the steel frame was more appealing.
I don't know a whole lot about P38s, but it appears that it has original finish, and, although I haven't taken it completely down, some parts have Germanicon proof marks, and all easy to remove serialed parts are matching.

I only have one concern, and that is the bowed dust cover seen in the picture. I remember at some point, someone telling me something along the lines of "If you shoot anything but mild target loads in a P38 the [some part] will bend" That was years ago and I don't remember what part.

Some compared pictures show German P38s have less of, or no bend in the dust cover. However the P1 replacement dust covers seem to have curvature made in them, but based on what I can find, they are not a direct replacement for the WW2 P38s. It sounds like these covers are difficult to put back if they are removed, so I am hesitant to remove the cover to check. It seems reasonable to me that the French police would have updated older pistols in line with the Manurhin P1s. Anyone know anything?

I'll provide some more pictures later, if wanted.

https://ibb.co/P5B4qPR
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.