Hybrid View

Last On
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Local Date
    05-16-2024
    Local Time
    05:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Surpmil View Post
    because you enjoy it so much or because the piece is worth the effort.
    It's the best form of mental therapy for me. In my day-job profession success with most problems comes at the end of a long river of constant failure. When I am truly stuck, and all progress seems hopeless, a short escape in the shop often makes all things clear. I've lost count of the times I've finally solved a hard problem while mowing the lawn, scraping away on a stock, or doing some menial physical task. I think the reason why it works is that it provides an equivalent re-direction of sorts and a mental release. Smithing of this sort requires equal focus, but in a way that diverts attention to the hands.
    All mathematicians are aware of a thing called a "really good, bad idea" - ideas that are so promising you invest all of yourself, mind body and soul, in the approach, only to find out weeks, months, or years later it's a dead end. But it was so good and so clever it cannot be forgotten. The effect is any subsequent idea ends up in a logic circle right back to just rephrasing the original dead end. Finding a solution now requires a great purge, only accomplished by putting it down for a very long time and moving on to something completely different, or with massive amounts of alcohol. I'm too old for the latter now, and time spent doing this kind of project greatly speeds up the former. Apologies - I'm a romantic at heart.

Sorry for the delays. I've been busy. Slowly making progress on building my checkering cradle for next steps.
    Last edited by ssgross; 04-04-2024 at 09:04 PM.

2. Thank You to ssgross For This Useful Post:

Last On
    @
    Local Date
    05-16-2024
    Local Time
    02:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ssgross View Post
    The effect is any subsequent idea ends up in a logic circle right back to just rephrasing the original dead end. Finding a solution now requires a great purge, only accomplished by putting it down for a very long time and moving on to something completely different
    And other times perhaps genuinely "really good" appearing ideas are still-born only because they appear to similar dead-ends?
    “There are invisible rulers who control the destinies of millions. It is not generally realized to what extent the words and actions of our most influential public men are dictated by shrewd persons operating behind the scenes.”

Edward Bernays, 1928

Much changes, much remains the same.

4. Thank You to Surpmil For This Useful Post:

5. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Local Date
    05-16-2024
    Local Time
    05:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Surpmil View Post
    And other times perhaps genuinely "really good" appearing ideas are still-born only because they appear to similar dead-ends?
    Ha! Questions which provably have answers but are provably impossible to answer?
    I would say no. Meticulously following every lead no matter how ridiculous it seems is a normal part the job - like always first ensuring a clear chamber before anything else. Then again, if I am wrong I have no way of knowing it because as you say it would have already been dead, unless of course someone else answers to the contrary to provide me the example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decidability_(logic)

Ok...back to finishing my checkering cradle. The other job can wait till Monday morning.

7. Thank You to ssgross For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread