1. It appears that you are you're enjoying our Military Surplus Collectors Forums, but haven't created an account yet. As an unregistered guest, your are unable to post and are limited to the amount of viewing time you will receive, so why not take a minute to Register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to our forums and knowledge libraries, plus the ability to post your own messages and communicate directly with other members. So, if you'd like to join our community, please CLICK HERE to Register !

Already a member? Login at the top right corner of this page to stop seeing this message.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Last On
    Today @ 01:14 AM
    Real Name
    Bill Baker
    Local Date
    05-17-2024
    Local Time
    01:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Singer B View Post
    I would break it down as mentioned above - pre-war, WW2, Korea, post war and pick which era you would prefer.

Might be right, I have WWII era, perhaps I'll go with a Korea Era just because my Dad served in Korea. I found some from 52' for under $1000.00 just don't know the condition of the bores. But I could always change the barrel like you said. I asked one of my buddies if he had time to run by the CMPicon and see what they have and if there is a big enough selection that might be worth taking a trip to visit him and the CMP; since I have my Type 3, buying out of state is easier.
    Veteran US Navy Seabees - US Army Corps of Engineers - American Legion Post 0867
    " Only two defining forces have offered to die for me. 1.) Jesus Christ 2.) The American G.I. "One died for your soul, the other for your freedom! "

Last On
    Yesterday @ 09:06 AM
    Real Name
    Robert Seccombe
    Local Date
    05-17-2024
    Local Time
    03:04 AM
    Over the years, I have found two WW2 M1icon rifles. The first was purchased by a USMC Officer at the end of the war and sold to an enlisted USMC
    Seabee who in turn sold it to me. It was rebuilt during the war with a 1940 receiver, Buffalo Arms barrel and SA internal parts, looks like new.
    The second rifle was April 1944 completely original but well used (still will print a nice 100 yard target -have photos) came from veterans estate
    in remote area Wisconsin woods, only rifle plus a shotgun.
    Note operating rods were not modified with the relief until post war rebuilds, checked my Rock island 1943 shop manual and some TM's

3. Thank You to RCS For This Useful Post:

4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    04-27-2024 @ 07:52 AM
    Real Name
    Jon Dix
    Local Date
    05-17-2024
    Local Time
    02:04 AM
    Right now the CMPicon does have the Navy Mod 0 and Mod 1 Garands rifles in 7.62 NATO available at 950 and 1600 respectably.

https://thecmp.org/sales-and-service/m1-garand/
    Former Prairie Submarine Commander
    "To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."

6. Thank You to AFJon For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Real Name
    Bill Baker
    Local Date
    05-17-2024
    Local Time
    Well. after being outbid on six M1icon Garands, I think some people just bid for fun because there is NO WAY that some of the rifles I bid on were worth what they went for; I just settled on an M1 Garand that meets my most basic wants. I figured I'd pick this one up, and I could always sell it if I find or win a better one before the July deadline hits. It's on the way to my FFL, so I should have it in a week or so.

It is a Springfield Armory SN 3084640, and all the parts seem to be SA, but I will know better once it's in hand, and I can take her down. The bore gauges at 1.0, so it should shoot well. She is a bit rough, but I like mine with the lived-in feel and look, and I probably paid more than I should have.

Veteran US Navy Seabees - US Army Corps of Engineers - American Legion Post 0867
    " Only two defining forces have offered to die for me. 1.) Jesus Christ 2.) The American G.I. "One died for your soul, the other for your freedom! "

8. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to usabaker For This Useful Post:

Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 06:30 PM
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    05-17-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by usabaker View Post
    Springfield Armory SN 3084640
    I had SA 3340115 last, I rebarreled it to 7.62. Sounds like you got a good one. Some people decide they have to have something and set their payments to snipe, in the last seconds it's stunning how high things go. You have a good one so have fun...let us know.
    Regards, Jim

10. Thank You to browningautorifle For This Useful Post:

Last On
    05-15-2024 @ 10:26 AM
    Real Name
    gunter jdson
    Local Date
    05-17-2024
    Local Time
    03:04 AM
    A CMPicon rifle might be the best way to go.

Amen to that. I'm lucky to live 4 hours from the stores. Did the GCAicon convention in October which included matches at Talladega. I believe they alternate years at Anniston for their site. Along with a group of friends we try to do a couple of trips a year and spend three nights. On our last trip in March two of our friends did the Buddy Maintenance course and built their expert grades. There are great weekly store reports on the CMP forum. You'll always find individuals with expertise to help pick out a rifle.

12. Thank You to FremansFarm For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Local Date
    05-17-2024
    Local Time
    04:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by FremansFarm View Post
    Did the GCAicon convention in October which included matches at Talladega. I believe they alternate years at Anniston for their site. Along with a group of friends we try to do a couple of trips a year and spend three nights.
    I need to do this. On my work trip, I booked my return flight from Huntsville a day late so I could take a day off and enjoy the range. I flew with a 1903A4 that I de-sporterized. It had an original A4 receiver. I used a NOS GI barrel and a NOS field replacement scant. It came with an original GI Redfield base, so I only had to find the split top rings, which took some waiting. I used a Hi-Lux replica scope, which did the job just fine. I shot off the bench to minimize the gear I had to fly with. I was getting solid groups in the 10 ring at 600, sans the wind flyers as the wind is normally very strong and very shifty on that range. By late morning, every flag was standing straight out, but all were in different directions. I was lucky to get a few shots off before it shifted, then making a new call it would shift to the complete opposite before you could get the sight settled on target.

14. Thank You to ssgross For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Today @ 12:47 AM
    Real Name
    Bill
    Local Date
    05-17-2024
    Local Time
    04:04 AM
    Congratulations. Any Garandicon is better than no Garand!

16. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to oldfoneguy For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Real Name
    Bill Baker
    Local Date
    05-17-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfoneguy View Post
    Congratulations. Any Garandicon is better than no Garand!
    Ain't that the truth!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2