Threaded View

Last On
    @
    Local Date
    06-14-2024
    Local Time
    02:28 AM

1911 Carl Gustaf M96 saved, my good deed for the day

Saved this one from being butchered for it's action yesterday. I have this hunting buddy that likes custom rifles, he recently acquired a slim tapered .25 cal. octagon barrel with the intentions of having it installed on a Savage 99 and chambering it for .250-3000 Improved but the Gunsmith he uses had his doubts for whatever reasons about barreling a M99 so that ended that. A small ring Mauser action was suggested and last week while in Florida my buddy finds this M96 in a pawn shop and buys it for $175. He'd never shot a Swede before( he's not big on milsurps) so I had him bring it over for a test firing session. I hated to see it chopped so offered to trade a nicely done sportered M96 and the deal was done. It's about average condition with mismatched #'s so it's no big prize but should make a good shooter. The bolt body matches the receiver but the shroud, safety lever, cocking piece and rear sight don't. I can't quite figure how it got that way but the crown was beat up to the point where it was mushroomed. I took about 10 minutes to recrown and hopefully the accuracy will be ok. We only fired it a couple times each freehand and I'll give it a accuracy test later when the weather clears up, cold, windy and rainy today.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to vintage hunter For This Useful Post: