Quote Originally Posted by TEDIJR View Post
.....Just now with a flashlight I found a really good stock repair on the lower buttstock where the S.L ^* is,also the lower front stock bottom has damage all down the stock like from an explosion.I will try to get picture"s.Thank"s I found out alot I never knew.The owner had said this had seen alot of action,I was told.
Yup. pics would be great....

Second, yes, the rifle should have that sling swivel in-place as pictured. I'm not sure why your No.4(T) doesn't have one, but it may have just got lost over the years during repairs, or whatever. Regardless, keep an on eBay and also local gun shows if you go to them. You may be able to find a simple replacement. You might also want to try a WTB "Want To Buy" ad in the Quartermaster Stores area for members, to see if anyone has one they'd sell you.

Third, in my opinion and from your description only (need pics), your No.4(T) sounds "righteous" and correct.... congratulations.

As noted in the Comments section of the MKLicon entry for a similar rifle, keep in mind that even genuine No.4(T)'s may have undergone some factory repairs, therefore they may not exactly match his descriptions. A good example is a rifle that went through one of the W.R.S. (Weedon Repair Standard) sub-contractors. A rifle having undergone W.R.S. repairs may be identified by a six (6) pointed star stamped into the wood, with a letter stamped underneath it indicating the specific sub-contractor who did the work. For example, the pics of the MKLicon entry show a different (not the one in photo pictorial) 1944 M47c (BSA Shirley) No.4 Mk1(T), that has no S51 stamped under the butt, however, the butt itself was changed during a visit to for W.R.S. work to W.W. Greener, as indicated by the six (6) pointed star and the letter V, which was their sub-contractor code letter. Therefore, when this rifle is examined overall, it's obviously a legitimate No.4(T), probably having been returned for repair from service, after having undergone some kind of damage in the field.

(Click PIC to Enlarge)

So, it appears your stock repair was probably done by W.W. Greener.......

Glad you're getting value from the site. That's what it's here for.

Regards,
Badger