Thread: L59A1 DP Rifle (by Peter Laidler)

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Administrator

Site Owner
    Last On
    @
    Real Name
    Doug
    Local Date
    05-22-2024
    Local Time
    09:40 PM
    My Videos in Video Club

Post L59A1 DP Rifle (by Peter Laidler)

With thanks to Advisory Panelicon member Peter Laidlericon, a new article has been added to the Technical Articles for Milsurp Collectors and Re-loaders (click here).

L59A1 DP Rifle (by Peter Laidler) (click here)

As Peter says …. "Putting my old teaching hat on and remembering the phrase that one picture describes a thousand words, here are a series of pictures showing the important points of what one of these mysterious ‘rifles’ embodies."

Article Extract .....

That was a timely picture by tlvaughn (click here) of his selection of No4 rifles which included a shot of an official No4 DP rifle, known to us in the UKicon Military as the RIFLE, DRILL PURPOSE, L59A1. I expect that some of the wild and untamed colonials and antipodeans among the forumers have been at their wits end trying to decipher what we unwashed Brits have been chuntering on about during our recent discussions about an Enfield Rifleicon that is incapable of firing anything, but is still a rifle…….called ‘……..an L59!’ The L59 was a downgraded rifle converted to a non firing, totally inert rifle for training use with Cadets (and not only Cadets I should add). Incidentally, numerically this is the last Lee Enfield. While there were 6 L59A2's, that should be looked upon as a sample run. That fact makes a genuine L59 a cheap but important item in any collection of Lee Enfields. …...

The left side of a typical L59A1 Drill Rifle. Notice the distinct, wide white bands on the butt and fore-end/handguard. This particular rifle had a blunted/rounded tip DP marked bayonet fitted too. There doesn’t appear to be any official EMER reference to DP No4 bayonets in the relevant EMER SA&MG V150 but this bayonet bears a label with the distinct red ‘S’ for serviceable which is lined through and now reads ‘…to EMER DP spec’. On the basis that if it is DP, it cannot be truly serviceable.

(Click PIC to Enlarge)
    Peter has added a personal request in regards to this article.

Note:
    If you have any questions or don’t understand something or my instructions are ambiguous then please ask on the forum and NOT by PM (Private Message). That way everyone will get the benefit of the question and answer.

Regards,
    Badger
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. The Following 4 Members Say Thank You to Badger For This Useful Post: