(Deceased Nov 16th, 2019)

Last On
    01-14-2023 @ 10:08 PM
    Local Date
    06-12-2024
    Local Time
    02:44 PM

CC members called Elitists

Elitists, is an interesting choice of words.

I am pleased to be a long time (20+ year) member of the Carbine Club.

The January 1, 2010 Carbine Club newsletter #357 has a plethora of information in a Serial Number Update article (19 pages) written by J. B. Powers.

To me, this first newsletter of the year alone is worth the annual dues of $18. The $18 yearly dues probably barely cover the costs of the newsletters.

The January newsletter is 24 pages of information with some pictures that includes a Carbine of the Month data sheet and a members ads page. Plus a blank data sheet was also included. I counted 25 printed pages. And the postage on the 9" X 12" envelope (so it can lay flat) was $1.40.

That does not take into consideration the many hours it must have taken to research these articles. Somebody has to type it. It is sent to another member to proof read. Then you add the time to copy, staple, and insert them into the envelopes, that have to and from shipping labels stuck on to each member (there are hundreds of members). Somebody has to lick sticky flaps to seal them, then drive them to the post office.

Paper, envelopes, labels, postage, gas to and from the post office, add it up.

Now, a reminder, all of the time these people volunteer to make this happen.

So let's think again about it. $18 a year (one less breakfast out with the wife, for you single guys 3 less six packs ) for all of this is a bargain, hell it's a steal. If you were to join now and purchase the back issues, that is #357 newsletters. Information not to be found in other places. Days, maybe months of reading and re-reading.

Nobody is stiff armed to join. Those of us who are members receive information and updates that enhance our knowledge and enjoyment of Carbines. If some of you think that is asking too much, the simple answer is, do not join. But on the other hand it is not fair to also want/expect others to give out club information.

Some may choose to call this elitism. I choose to call it sacrifices made by club members to help our club and members continue to receive new and updated information on our hobby.

All that is asked, in return, is participation by sending in information as you come across it. No tattoo's, no secret handshakes, no funny hats involved.

Elitists, no. I would call it something more like a brotherhood.

Jim
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.