I just acquired a 1913 No.1 Mk3 (RFI 1941) in .410. The chamber will accept a fired 3" shell, so it seems that is has been opened up to fire 3". I took it out to a friend's place this afternoon to fire a few rounds. Wouldn't fire. The primer had only a slight mark. Hmm....

It seemed that the bolt head thread would bottom against the flange on the firing pin and not let the pin ahead enough to dent the primer, and would push the cocking piece back a wee bit. Okay, so I took the firing pin apart. Other than a nasty collection of dirt and old grease/oil, nothing seemed badly worn. The primer end of the pin looks to be in good shape. I checked a Churchill SMLE and it seemed to do the same thing. When I tightened the bolt head into place, it seemed to bottom against the flange and push the cocking piece back a bit, same as the .410.

I re-assembled the firing pin and put the rifle back together, hoping that it was just dirt that caused the ftf. Too late to go out a try it again.

Does anyone have any suggestions about this? I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.