This is a Remington rifle, serial number 412,685. I believe it was manufactured in 1918. The receiver and bolt are Remington. Most of the other parts that can be seen without a detailed break-down are Eddystone with a couple of Winchesters for good measure.

There are a couple of things about the rifle that I’d like to get some knowledgeable help on.

1. On top of the barrel, behind the front sight, are the numbers “7” and “8.” There is no evidence of a “1” in front of the “8.” As the picture below shows, the numbers are quite far apart. The manufacturer’s mark and the flaming bomb are not present above the numbers. Where they should be looks like small patches of pitting that appear elsewhere on the rifle. Under strong magnification, there are small striations that suggest grinding. They are very small, though. What might be going on here? Is there a reason why someone would grind those marks off? What about the “missing 1” before the “8?”

2. On the bottom of the barrel at the breech end, there are some numbers and letters (see picture below.) Do they have known meaning?

3. The stock has absolutely no markings on it whatsoever. Other than a couple of gouges, the wood looks like new. There is no wear anyplace. Could this stock be an arsenal replacement? A commercial replacement? I would think it was put right into storage after the original stock was replaced, right?
Attachment 31189Attachment 31190Attachment 31191Attachment 31192
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.