Newbie here, both in this forum, and to the M1icon Carbine world. Had one back in the 80's, but traded it off like I did everything else back then. Picked this one up today at a local pawn shop. An Inland, barrel date of 2-44. Appears to a newbie's eye to be pretty much correct in most aspects. It is a Springfield Sporters import tho. Small import stamp on underside of barrel. The trigger housing is a rusty plum color. Not sure why unless it wasn't blued correctly & this is how it aged? All other metal looks great. Wood looks to have been stained dark & possibly some kind of shellac applied over that. Pretty sure not original finish? Or is it? Should I strip the finish & use some BLOicon? Wood has numerous dings & rough spots, but overall pretty solid. Everything locks up good & tight, although the handguard is a little loose fitting. Including a few photos taken when I cleaned it up this evening. What can you tell me about my new toy? Was it worth $500? Been wanting a decent Carbine for ages.Cartouche is there, but a bit weak....maybe the shellac filled it in somewhat? What would you do with the finish on the wood? Handguard is stamped underneath with a Q- followed by some other letters which I forgot to write down. A few other markings are shown in the photos below. So.....whatcha think?

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.