Kind of a last minute decision due to a snow storm but decided to go to a nearby gun show.

Impressions since going to a gun show near Philly two weeks ago are that people are going nuts. Two weeks ago a WASR 10 Romanian AK semi-auto were selling for $700 which was up from $550 prior to the school shooting. Today the exact same rifles were selling for $1250. Granted I didn't see any walking out the door but that's the price on the table and there weren't many on the tables. Two weeks ago, they were everywhere. AR's were listing from $1500 to $2400 and these were selling at the low end.

In any case it also affected my purchase as the dealer was completely unwilling to bargain on price. He was selling SKS's one after the other and actually raised his price $50 since the morning.

I found a Japanese Type I in very nice condition, possibly too nice with the finish on the stock. It has a high gloss finish which I've never seen on a Type I before but looks like the finish on an Arisakaicon. The metal looks to be 95%+, the inside looks 100%, the bolt face doesn't look like it's been fired and the bore is bright and shiny. The stock does have some dings and scratches and one possible carved character that resembles a 7. Has original cleaning rod. The stock is separated a bit along the butt joint. Does not appear to have been sanded, the wood is bulky around all the metal parts.

I don't have time for photos tonight but will try to get some up tomorrow.

Like I mentioned, it was a bit more than what I wanted to pay, I think you get accustomed to going to a show like this, seeing the asking price and then making an offer/counter offer etc to do better. Price was not out of line by any means and I think I got a decent deal on it even if the finish is an add on.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.