Hello everybody! Another humble newbie here, looking for info. The Lee Enfield section has been welcoming and helpful so I expect more of the same as I branch out to Mauser and Kragicon. Not sure of the protocol for posting so you may see the same post elsewhere if it turns out that I should move it.

To business: I have a Mauser 98 marked as follows (will also provide pictures). I’ve tried to figure out the markings but I’m just (enthusiastically) beginning to learn and could use some help. As compared to Enfields, the Mauser 98 identification seems quite a bit harder to figure out. You guys must be smarter than Enfield guys. 

Forgive me for any misused terms and unfamiliarity with the importance of various markings, I hope to be much smarter shortly. Also, please give me a break because this is currently my only dirty firearm but I didn’t want to clean it until I find out more about what to do.

Anyway, the left side of the receiver is stamped with Kar 98 and the top of the receiver has four items stacked toward the butt end behind the 7.9: 1920 / a crown / Erfurt / 1912. I've been told elsewhere that NO Erfurt 1912’s exist, but that’s what I have.

Serial numbers (#9699) match on the receiver assembly ( both top and bottom), barrel, stock, and handguard. The bolt doesn’t seem to have a number. There is a 99 on the front sight guard and 96 on the magazine follower and on the bottom magazine cover. The top edge of the buttplate has S.P. over D and the rear of the butt plate has 4. over 60.

Very sadly, this weapon was duffle cut by my WW2-vet uncle and the cut pieces are lost. I seem to be missing the bayonet mount assembly, the front portions of the stock/hand guard, the sling, and the movable part of the rear sight. I hope it's not ruined for restoration.

I’m not lazy at all, but I’m having trouble getting traction on this particular ID problem. Can anyone refer me to resources or better, give me some clue on this weapon so that I have the keys to educate myself about it? Also, any thoughts about correcting the butchery would be welcome (but I’m also reading previous posts on that topic.)

Here are the photos, and thanks a lot!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.