Thought some of you might find this interesting. A mostly matching (forend doesn't, sight leaf renumbered) 1916 MkIII. This is one of the RSAF Enfield Riflesicon that Skennertonicon and Stratton mention as being built using a MK I action body (note the charger quide stop lug on the right). The two authors suggest that these were either re-barreled or that the body was formerly unused. I may be mistaken (generally the case) but I think there may be signs that this one was a used body and that it may have its original Mk I barrel. The proof marks on body and barrel are both quite worn but appear to me to be E. Rex- the one on the body is definite. Interestingly, there are two sets of wear marks mid-barrel- one is from the flats in the upper part of the inner band. The other is about an inch forward and where the band would have originally been on a Mk I (but on the lower side of barrel). However, to confuse the issue, there are two '18's on the barrel shank. Could those merely reflect late war modification to the small cone? The rifle is very usable with decent bore and a nice fitting replacement forend. This is the only wartime Mk III no-star I've managed to acquire so-far as they've become pretty pricey with all the current WW1 interest relating to the anniversary. So help me out- what am I missing with the markings on this one?

Ridolpho
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.