Hello to All,
I recently acquired a very nice Model 1903-A3, manufactured 1943, Ogden Arsenal re-build. U.S. 04/43 barrel (new), correct cartouches, looks virtually NOS. With the exception of one handling mark.
Link to pics, not the greatest, bad lighting, sorry, I'll do better!

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=7495DA...95DA52F572D0FF

Now my questions, the mark is about 1/2 in long by 1/8", slight indentation, fibers don't appear to be broken. Is shows up as a light sort of yellowish color, against a dark stock, I assume to be walnut.
I attempted to steam it out with an iron and a damp piece of cotton cloth. The steaming didn't really seem to raise the grain much at all. When I was done, I hit it with one light application of real tung oil, from realmilkpaint.
Now, the finish looks beautiful, but the spot I steamed is much duller, less glossy than the rest of the stock, after the oil dried. Then I hit that dull spot with 3 heavy coats of tung, let dry, wiped off, no difference. The dull spot actually looks like the grain is smoother that the rest of the rifle.

Questions for the experts:
1. Does anyone know what the original finish was coming out of the Ogden Arsenal re-build?
2. What can I do about the dull area to make it match the rest of the stock?
3. I planned on applying a stain to the light spot with a small paintbrush. Can anyone recommend the best stain to use that would match the stock best in color?
4. Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Sincerely,
David
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.