Hello,
New to the forum and hoping someone can help me with a date of manufacture on an M1917.
I inherited the gun from my father and my recollection is that it was given to him by my aunt in the late 60's early 70's as a birthday gift. The gun was sort of a "finish it yourself" sporterized "kit rifle.
It has what I believe to be a commercial barrel (chambered in 30.06) and came with an inletted unfinished sporter stock with a rollover cheek piece.The rear sight ears were still on it however my father many years ago had them milled off and the receiver drilled and tapped for a scope mount.
the front receiver ring is marked:
US
MODEL OF 1917
REMINGTON
The serial number is way higher than any serial number I've seen attributed to Remington M1917 production. I know that they had some leftover parts some of which were assembled into rifles, and some of which were perhaps sold off to the commercial market.
Any help the members can give me on a manufacture date of this gun (receiver) would be greatly appreciated.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.