Hello all,
I have a few questions about the Brazilianicon M1908/34 mauser. During the last couple of years I have picked up the hobby of de-sporterizing (to the degree possible) old miltary rifles. I have recently had an opportunity to purchase and work on a Brazilian M1908/34. The rifle has a sporter stock, has been drilled and tapped for a one-piece scope mount, and has had the barrel sights removed. It is still in the original 30-06, however, and As far as I can tell it still has the original 24"-ish barrel. My question is primarily in regards to what was originally on this thing in the way of sights. In any pictures of original m1908/34's I've seen they have a square-ish front sight base. Unfortunately, I have had zilch for luck in finding one of these bases to put back on. I am now wondering if I could substitute one of the ramped front bases such as were on the original 1908 and the 1908 short rifle. Would that affect anything? I figured the change in base might have had something to do with the change from the 7mm mauser to the 30-06 chambering, but I'm not sure. Alternatively, are there any other mausers that have a similar base that could be substituted. I was also wondering about the rear sight. I think the 7mm short rifles had a shorter carbine rear sight leaf than the full length 1908's which were numbered out to 20. I was wondering what the 1908/34 would have had originally. Finally, I was wondering if the handguard from an original full-length m1908 could be used on a 1908/34. Any input you guys can give me is appreciated. Thanks!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.