Hey all, first time poster.

I'm not new to guns but new to M1icon Carbines. I recently inherited an M1 Carbine, after some research it looks to be an Alpine brand. It came with 2 stocks, one military surplus and one thumb hole stock. The rifle has some modifications that really threw me off while trying to identify it. The rifle was missing the rear tang piece (sorry I don't know what its called) and the matching hand guard. Initially I stumbled onto a page talking about the an M1 built by Williams with a thumb hole stock and aftermarket sights, but mine is slightly different. Also a military surplus hand guard doesn't fit over the slide assembly.

I think my Grandpa was trying to build a sporterized version of the Alpine rifle. It has the Williams sights and came with the thumb hole stock. I think he was trying to mock the Williams "One of Fifty" sporterized rifle. What do you guys think? A part of me would like to finish his project. The problem is I don't have an upper hand guard for the thumb hole stock. Nor does the wooden (non matching) hand guard I have fit correctly when using the military surplus stock.

My apologizes if it takes me a little while to respond, I'm currently gearing up for a move across country.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.