A question for my Australianicon brothers. I acquired a decent but well used '42 Mk.III* that's matching throughout and in spec. including the forend. It strikes me as a rifle that's seen service in the tropics as the metal is coated with the olive colored preservative paint. The stock, which is it's original coachwood from what I can see appears to be painted a medium brown color. I thought at first it might be just the original creosote/RLO finish slathered on and hardened in the long distant past but it looks like paint. This rifle hasn't been disassembled in a very long time and just feels unmessed with and like it's been there and done that if you get my drift. It's wartime through and through. The forend was never upgraded with the brass plates so it's very original. What are your thoughts on the painted woodwork? In my younger days I'd have stripped it of the paint without a thought but I won't remove it, just carefully preserve it if it's something that was done in service. Any thoughts are much appreciated.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.