Hi guys, new to the forum and wanted to get a read on what looks like a matching Winchester I recently picked up. I've been a casual milsurp collector for years but have never really had anything that might present as "correct," but I'm hoping I might've done pretty well rolling the dice at an auction. Went down the rabbit hole last night so I hope I'm asking the right questions, apologies if I'm missing something obvious.

The rifle is 278xxx. Barrel is marked 5-18 and looks great. Everything I see has a W. Stock looks great, no markings other than the W, the eagle with a 544 seen below, and a 43 underneath the bolt handle. Take a look at these action screws, tho. One appears to be still staked but buggered, the other doesn't have the punch indent lined up with the slot. Thoughts? Maybe somebody decided they were going to take it apart with the wrong size screwdriver, got one screw to move and then gave up on the other? Or is it a restake?

Thanks in advance and let me know if there are any other pics that can help. Attachment 121999Attachment 122000Attachment 122001Attachment 122002
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.