Hi All,

I was hoping on some suggestions as to what might be the cause of some feeding issues I'm having with M98 rifle. It is a Danzig Gew 98 dated 1916. All bolt, receiver, stock all matching numbers. It is a great shooter for its age but I'm continually getting a situation where the bolt rides over the cartridge in the magazine and hits it mid-way along the case.

The result is a dinged cartridge and obviously a miss-feed. That's the best way I can describe it. I had thought perhaps the magazine spring is weak so took the spring out of my K98kicon (that rifle has no feed issues) and swapped them. This made no difference. I swapped out the extractor thinking it was not grabbing correctly on the feed stroke. Again, this made no difference. When I work the bolt, it is definitely 'with purpose' and not slow. The problem is minimized when I work the bolt as if my life depended on it, but it does not entirely go away.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the cause of this?

Regards, and thanks for your time.
Jon
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.