Hello All,

I tried posting some questions regarding this rifle on the 1917 forum but got no response. I'll try to keep this as short as possible. This is my first military rifle. I've owned/collected older 22's and S&W's for some time. I bought this from my step daughter who needed the money. Story is that her grandfather bought it in 1940 from a mail order company for $17.00 and came as shown. It's in near excellent overall condition but is a "mixmaster" as follows: Winchester receiver (#105277), barrel (marked W and 12-17) and front sight. Eddystone bolt, bolt release and rear sight and Remington buttplate and floorplate. The stock is unmarked on the outside but appears un-refinished with only a few dings and no repairs. I haven't separated the stock from the action so I don't know about markings inside. There is a 5 point star in a circle on the left side of the receiver that, from a post on the '17 forum, seems to indicate that as an early gun it wasn't suitable for interchangeability but this one sure was!

So I guess here's my questions: The serial number on the receiver and the date on the barrel seem to indicate that the receiver/barrel are original. Would that be correct? Any idea what gives with the stock? Did someone just chuck out the hand guard and forestock? The parkerized barrel shows signs of a front band having been on there. Maybe this was an early attempt at "sporterizing" the rifle? On the other hand the band that is on there comes in contact with the barrel. Didn't original '17 rear bands go OVER the hand guard and NOT make contact with the barrel? Maybe this band is not original to a '17? I never held a '17 before this one so am in the dark on this.

The bore is near perfect and the trigger breaks clean so the plan is to shoot it the next opportunity on the July 4 holiday. If this shoots well I believe that I will keep it. I never got into military rifles as I always thought them clunky looking but this thing comes up to a perfect sight picture and really feels like a good "fit". It doesn't feel clunky at all.....

I would be grateful for any help on this, Dave

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.