I had been wanting a long Martini Henry for a while, but not enough to pay a big price for one. Certainly not for most of what I was seeing...... Then a gentleman brought this one to sell, likely the nicest one I had seen around the local shows.... Of course he was asking rather more than I wished to pay, and I would have preferred it to be an earlier model, Zulu War era preferred......
However it was a pretty nice Martini though somewhat dirty, but with what appeared to be actual blueing under the surface crud. I let him walk away with it for the price but hoped it would get "heavier" to him after he carried it around a while....... He had said that he didn't want to take it home but thought it was pretty valuable. A couple of hours later he returns to my table and asks me what I would pay for it. I asked him what kind of offers he had recieved for it. When he told me that the best offer was a little less than half of his original asking price I began to see a Martini in my immediate future.......
I offered him $50.00 more than the top offer and there is now a MKIV Martini in my gunsafe....
A little gentle cleaning revealed a decent, well marked rifle with a really nice bore.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.