FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    10-27-2007 @ 09:02 PM
    Local Date
    09-20-2024
    Local Time
    12:03 AM

Question about possible Japanese Type 38 Carbine (Edit: Siamese Conversion)

Hello,

I am still relatively new to collecting WWII Firearms, but being of Japaneseicon decent, I have been interested in picking up WWII Japanese firearms when I come across them. They are pretty few and far between here in my neck of the woods, but I found one today at a local shop.

Because I am learning as I go, I took a look at it, then came back and hit the Internet to learn more about what I saw. I was told at the shop that it was a Japanese Paratrooper rifle, but my initial investigations make me believe that it is just a bubba'd rifle.

The barrel is short, so it seems to be a Type 38 Carbine. Stupidly, I forgot to check the Type markings, but based on what I saw, I am pretty sure it is a Type 38. The wood was sporterized, as it was cut near the end and rounded off, and is missing the last barrel band. Also, the bolt handle is bent, which seems very strange, since every bolt handle I have seen on Japanese rifles are straight, unless they are sniper bolts, but the snipers seem to have long bent bolt handles. This bolt handle seemed too short to be a sniper.

Also, the butt of the stock is cut to allow for a sling, which is something I have not seen on Japanese rifles before either.

Anyway, I am going back tomorrow to the shop to get more information about it, and look at the markings a little more carefully, but I am still very new to all of this, so I thought I should post and see if anyone could help me out with initial impressions. Sound like a bubba'd rifle?

Thanks!
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by tokey; 08-23-2007 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Edited title with new information