Threaded View

Last On
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Local Date
    06-17-2024
    Local Time
    12:33 AM

How to do it right, 2x M1?

I'm starting my first from the ground up Garand assembly after tinkering with nearly correcting a 42 SA. I have wanted to assemble an M1icon for years, so I'm not particularly concerned with paying more for parts than the complete rifle. I was originally starting with a 40 SA stripped receiver, 7th rd fixed, and had planned on using the take off parts from the 42 to make an M1D clone with a new Criterion 308 barrel and cast repro block. At some point I developed a conscience at the thought of using an early receiver for a shooter project with questionable scope mounting. I bought a 2nd receiver, a 44 SA, to make the heart of the project. I also won an auction for a poor bore genuine M1D 555 barrel that I do not have in my hands yet.

I was planning on sending both receivers to Shuff's soon to be reparkerized and barrels installed. The 40 appears to have danish park, and the 44 has a lighter park. Both are reapplied as both have park over pitting. The 44 is 281xxxx, which may put it at the cut off for manganese vs zinc.
    Am I safe to assume that:
    1. Redoing the park won't hurt value?
    2. Shuff's manganese park is darker than the danish park?
    3. Both rifles could have manganese park?

I also want opinions on the barrels. When it comes down to it, I want to do what's right for these receivers, and may change my plans accordingly.
    My revised plan may be to:

Install the 308 barrel on the 40, with no M1D block. Assemble as a complete rifle with as many SA-2 parts as I can find, and wait for Schuster fake gas trap block. The end result will be a shooter that looks more like a gas trap.

Install the real M1D barrel on the 44. The seller was very insistent that the bore was questionable, and my result may not be particularly accurate. I could also remove the USGI block, and install on another 308 or 30-06 Criterion barrel, but I don't want to wreck a real 555 D barrel. I could also risk the fake block, but it seems those blocks combined with fake mounts do not zero. For immediate cost savings, I won't install any scope, but plan on finding a real mount.

What is the best thing to do with these receivers, and what would you do? Is there a better path that I haven't explored?
    Last edited by BVZ24; 05-08-2024 at 06:10 PM.