1. It appears that you are you're enjoying our Military Surplus Collectors Forums, but haven't created an account yet. As an unregistered guest, your are unable to post and are limited to the amount of viewing time you will receive, so why not take a minute to Register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to our forums and knowledge libraries, plus the ability to post your own messages and communicate directly with other members. So, if you'd like to join our community, please CLICK HERE to Register !

Already a member? Login at the top right corner of this page to stop seeing this message.

+ Reply to Thread
Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    04-16-2012 @ 12:56 AM
    Local Date
    05-18-2024
    Local Time
    11:08 PM
    Thanks for the information on this thread. It is exactly what I was looking for.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    05-17-2012 @ 08:12 PM
    Local Date
    05-19-2024
    Local Time
    03:08 AM

New member with newly bought SKS

Hi there, Thanks for all the advices that I got on your forum. I'm a newbie who just bought 4 very nice Russian SKS45 here in Canadaicon. They all are refurbs Tula rifles that I got for 200$ ea. Quality is completely amaising, matching nbrs (no signs of forced matching). Saw a lot of those in different stores and the ones that I got are top quality believe me. From top to bottom : 1950, 1951, 1953 and 1955.

They are from Ukrania, still full of cosmo. Guess they never been fired since they've left the arsenal 50 years ago. I won't fire them neither, kind of collection. I'll stick to my Tapco Russian SKS for shooting.

It's nice that we can still buy them here in Canada but for how long? I mean, they stop making them in 1956, and Russiaicon forbid exporting SKS (I heard of), so the supply won't last. What do you think?

Many thanks again for your very helpfull forum

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    06-18-2012 @ 12:34 AM
    Local Date
    05-19-2024
    Local Time
    02:08 AM

am I wrong

So I was looking at my '53 SKS, everything checks out on your list of non-refurb stuff there, but one thing is a variation. My stock is a laminate, and its not a 56 or past. The thing is, it has the numbers that match the barrel, stock, magazine, receiver, and other parts. EVERYTHING matches for numbers, but the laminate you say is not till later. How is that?

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    03-17-2023 @ 01:41 PM
    Local Date
    05-19-2024
    Local Time
    03:08 AM
    Man! That '49 is an awesome sight. Thanks for sharing and taking time to put this thread together. Great stuff.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    10-27-2022 @ 12:23 PM
    Local Date
    05-19-2024
    Local Time
    12:08 AM
    possible the stock was the only thing that was replaced .

Quote Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
    So I was looking at my '53 SKS, everything checks out on your list of non-refurb stuff there, but one thing is a variation. My stock is a laminate, and its not a 56 or past. The thing is, it has the numbers that match the barrel, stock, magazine, receiver, and other parts. EVERYTHING matches for numbers, but the laminate you say is not till later. How is that?

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    07-23-2012 @ 07:46 PM
    Local Date
    05-19-2024
    Local Time
    04:08 AM

Newbie question; Stock markings.

Hello fellow SKS owners. I recently (April 2013) purchased a 1953 Tula Russianicon package from Cabelas Canadaicon for $250.00 It came with the usual sling, manual, stripper clips, cleaning kit and oil bottle, in a what I'm guessing a standard "western market" cardboard box with "Russin SKS 45" and matching red hammer and sickle.

I am grasping..because of the amazing work and input from sandstorm, some of the idiosyncratic differences of this remarkable weapon. Yes there is a question in here LOL! ..

What does a refurbish stamp, on a laminate stock...the box with-diagonal line...on the right side of the shoulder piece mean? The other stock markings are the serial #.. original and stamped, not XXXX... with an 0 within a small diamond proof-mark beneath it. There was clearly some other refurbishment done, as the serial number on the gas tube, is electo-engraved not stamped. All others are stamped, and matching. There is no other signs of "typical" refurbishment from what I've researched.

Any help would be appreciated, as I would love to smooth out the finish on the stock, as it looks like most in all the pics I've seen of issue ones I've seen, but am afraid it may reduce the value...if there is any. If the consensus is that this is not a collectable, then I will make it a "pretty" shooter
    Last edited by rightcoast; 07-22-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Last On
    05-24-2020 @ 05:48 PM
    Local Date
    05-19-2024
    Local Time
    01:08 AM
    Hello Sandstorm,

Great write up and info on the SKS. I have one and the best I can see from your info is that it is about a 1956 or 57 but with a gas block version 1 as it is the 90 degree front face.

My inquiry is: the type AKM and other prefix letters followed by the model nubmers 56-x are prohibited. Do these fall into this category now? I have looked at the RCMP FRT and have not seen any distiction on their table. While I don't see the stamping that is referred to on the AK for the design manufaturer I just want to ensure that they have not been snuck onto the FRT...yet.

Cheers,

Trevor

+ Reply to Thread