My rifle is an unfired Irish contract rifle. It was manufactured with three swivels, which includes the one on the front band. My question has nothing whatsoever to do with how many swivels the rifle is supposed to have. It has to do with the proper orientation of the center swivel. As I've said, all of the three swivels on my rifle are manufactured in such a way that there is a cant, a bend, a dogleg, whatever you want to call so that the stalk of the swivel is NOT in the same plane as the swivel itself. So, that assuming the rifle is held horizontally, and the stalk of the swivel is pointing directly at the ground, the swivel itself (the portion that accepts the sling) is NOT pointed at the ground, but is canted about 20 to 30 degrees fore or aft, depending on which way you install the swivel. I've out of further explanations. The question is when the swivel (not the butt swivel, and not the one by the front sight, but the center swivel) is fully pushed to its maximum travel upward (toward the sky) it will bottom out on the wood in ONE of its positions--the question is, should it be installed to that it bottoms out against the wood nearest the shooter, or nearest the muzzle. Either is possible depending on if you flip the swivel around. To be clear, the swivel itself is welded in such a way that it makes a "dogleg".

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

For further and hopefully final clarification, I am talking about the swivel about a foot from the muzzle. I'm calling that the center because my rifle has one at the butt, one about a foot from the muzzle, and one almost at the muzzle. I am not talking about a swivel added somehow just forward of the magazine.

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by browningautorifleicon View Post
The large swivel on the mag housing wasn't in the discussion. An offset swivel as originally referred to was a piling swivel. THOSE they didn't have.
Correct, Jim, I am not talking about a swivel on the mag housing, nor am I talking about an offset/piling swivel where the screw tab is off center on the swivel. I am talking about a canted screw tab, stalk, or whatever one wants to call the piece of the swivel that accepts the screw.

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

Krinko, you could answer my question by doing the following: In your photo, your sling is attached in the front to what I am calling the "center swivel" because mine has one at the muzzle as well. To answer my question, please manipulate your front swivel, and tell me in which position the swivel will lie flat on the wood--it will do so in only one direction, either toward the butt, or toward the muzzle. Just want you to fold the swivel, and tell me in which direction it lays flat. Thanks. This is easier to do than write, I am finding. If your will lie flat in both directions, you have a different model swivel, an uncanted one.