I will cease troubling the members of this forum. I do appreciate all the helpful and well-intended input provided by most of you. I even appreciate the factual information contained in Mr. Laidlericon's writings, which have helped me better understand the issues involved.
I am still certain I can do what I set out to do, when and if I can obtain the needed parts, and there is good reason to think I can.
I have the necessary skills and experience to do whatever hand fitting may be needed: I've made around a thousand rifle barrels from bar stock, made the tools with which to rifle them, built a couple of hundred rifles with my barrels and others, assembled, rebuilt and re-barreled many more over the past 50 years or so.
I am satisfied, from close inspection, that there are no other mechanical issues with this rifle which would preclude it from being 'corrected', to resolve the one problem which I have identified.
As for you, Mr. Laidler: though I do not doubt your qualifications as an expert on this topic, and have already acknowledged the usefulness of the information you have made available to the participants in this forum, I cannot say much for your inexplicable attitude toward what has been an honest request for assistance. I'm not even sure whether your rather contemptuous interjections reflect your general personality traits, or, possibly, and more excusably, an ongoing flareup of hemorrhoids. You haven't even said whether you think what I hope to do is impossible, improper, or blasphemous, nor given any reasons for so believing.
If you merely think I can't do it, my response, in a vernacular I understand is still current in the U.K. is: Bollocks.

mhb - Mike