I've been searching high and low and I'm just not finding a definitive answer to my question about 1903 scope bases and mounts.

I have a Remington 1903 that has been drilled and tapped and I am working on turning it into as close to an A4 clone as I can. I'm basically down to finding the right scope base at this point. I originally bought the S&K one but my A3 hand guard won't work with that unless I cut some of the wood off, so I figured since its already drilled and tapped maybe I should just go that route.

What I'm wondering is, will a scope base designed to be used on an A3 also work on my standard 1903? The measurement that seems to be the most relevant on sites selling the mounts is the center spread which I have measured to be 4.1" on mine. That seems to match what it is supposed to be, but I don't know if mine not having the A3 rear site dovetail base prohibits me from using an A3 base.

Any guidance on this would be appreciated.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.