G'day there, I've got a MKIII (I think) that I have been using to practice for target shooting, in the hopes of using it in military rifle competitions, but it has an issue with feeding rounds up from the mag and into the chamber. What happens is the little ribs springs that sit over the cartridges in the mag and that guide them up and into the seat of the bolt-head seem to release them early, causing the rims of the shells to end up not quite where they should and spearing the cartridge off to the right. This makes the projectiles butt up against the surface beside the entrance to the chamber.

This seems to happen no matter what orientation you load the rounds into the mag, how slow or fast you close the bolt, what cartridges you use, or even how many times you depress the cartridges in the mag to let them align themselves. You can have one come up and spear off, take it out, put it back in the mag and it will not do it again, but the very next round will do the same thing. It also seems to be completely random, except that the last round rarely does it.

This problems seems to have started after the previous accidentally clamped the magazine, causing the platform to catch on its way up and down. We have spent some time with the mag apart, tapping various places on the housing to find some kind of 'sweet-spot' that will stop the problem, but its so damn finnicky we can't see any structured way to go at it other than praying we get it right by luck.

Now has anyone had a similar issue and had any luck fixing it? Ross parts seem as common as a one ended stick so getting a new mag is pretty unlikely, and even then I feel it might produce the same problem. Cheers.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.