If this kinda thread is not ok feel free to move it or delete it all together.

So, I've decided I want to be an armourer/gunsmith here in Australiaicon, the recquirements for this being about legislation understanding, facilities to undertake this work, and finally the skills to do it. This last part seems a little hazy for applying for an armourer's licence in that it really just asks that you have references from already qualified armourers/gunsmiths as guarantees for your skills and knowledge.

Now I muck around with guns as it is, but being able to really be an armourer with knowledge of all the tools and machinery for armouring work does not seem like something I could reasonably do on my own. I know I could take a fitting and turning apprenticeship or become an engineer but both are not 100% direct to being an armourer or gunsmith.

So that brings me to my question: Are there any armourers or gunsmiths in Australia who would take on an apprentice, or alternatively does anyone here have better advice for what I should do?

Cheers.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.