Contributing Member Micheal Doyne's Avatar
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 02:50 PM
    Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time
    11:48 AM

Denison Smock Sniper Modifications

Within training literature there are various references to personal modifications by snipers to their smocks. I am particularly interested modifications to help with shooting rather than camouflage, these seem to have been modifications to help retain the sling on the arm. Does any one have more details of these or better still photos of a modified original?

2. # ADS
    Friends and Sponsors

(Parker Hale Forums)
    Last On
    Today @ 09:18 AM
    Home of The Parachute Regiment & 16 Air Assault Brigade
    Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time
    04:48 PM
    Michael,

Many variations occurred, once you had finished the ALL ARMS SNIPER Course to suit the individual, but I have to say none were a serious deviation from the norm.

In terms of wanting ideas surrounding the actual shooting not camouflage, these relate primarily to the use of a well fitted sling and your hold of the rifle using that as an aid.

Parachute Regiment snipers were issued with smocks minus the sling clips as it was these very same smocks that were used to parachute in on operations and the clips if retained in the normal issue ones would snag rigging lines.

My label in my old smock says simply SNIPERS DPM but it is a PARA issue and as rare as rocking horse poo, as only 100 were made for Military Parachutists and I was lucky.
    In short it was the selection of the right sling which proved the best solution and I always preferred the SEYNTEX Belgiumicon fibre sling issued but we did also get the leather 1907 one from the USAicon as well.
    Hope that helps
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SNIPERS DPM JACKET LABEL.jpg‎
Views:	85
Size:	512.1 KB
ID:	102893  
    Last edited by Gil Boyd; 09-18-2019 at 02:16 PM.
    'Tonight my men and I have been through hell and back again, but the look on your faces when we let you out of the hall - we'd do it all again tomorrow.' Major Chris Keeble's words to Goose Green villagers on 29th May 1982 - 2 PARA

4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Contributing Member Micheal Doyne's Avatar
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 02:50 PM
    Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time
    11:48 AM
    Hi Gil,

Thanks, the specific modification I was after photos was for additions to help maintain good sling position prior to the integral sling clips being added. Your smock is a great bit of kit, I had wondered about whether the clip on later smocks snagged kit, but just assumed if you where in a situation where it might you wound wear the sniper smock, I had no idea a sniper smock existed without clip. Where other smocks non sniper smocks in use at this time and if so how did they differ to yours?

(Parker Hale Forums)
    Last On
    Today @ 09:18 AM
    Home of The Parachute Regiment & 16 Air Assault Brigade
    Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time
    No different at all but with the clips fitted.
    'Tonight my men and I have been through hell and back again, but the look on your faces when we let you out of the hall - we'd do it all again tomorrow.' Major Chris Keeble's words to Goose Green villagers on 29th May 1982 - 2 PARA

Last On
    12-03-2019 @ 04:26 PM
    Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Micheal Doyne View Post
    Within training literature there are various references to personal modifications by snipers to their smocks.
    Only mod to the issued Denison smocks I've heard about it the creation of a vertical pocket on the rear hip side to hold the spotting scope.
    And that was probably likely on done by a sniper that had been issued with a 1st Pattern smock, which were longer in length. Late in teh war when they were likely issued with a shorter in length 2nd Pattern smock, such a mod would have likely take the form of a horizontal poachers pocket for the spotting scope.
    Even then, such a mod would have only been done by a unit tailor, from any remnants of any seriously damaged smocks, as that would have been the only way of getting the material.

8. Thank You to GeeRam For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread