If you have read/responded to this in another forum, thank you. I am trying to maximize the # of informed people who may read it and then be able to help me.

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have any ideas of who might have made bases for the 1903 Springfield rifle [not A3 or A4] that have hole distances of .860" for front and .490" for rear?

I have a Remington 1903 [not an A3] that was previously drilled/tapped for scope bases by a different owner. I bought it without bases, but filler screws in those spots.

I intended to shoot it with iron sights but, well- I can't see the front sight.
My close vision is shot [over 50], and my astigmatism makes lining thin lines up challenging on a good day.

I want to mount a 4x scope, just so I can use this and not be frustrated every time I aim it at the target.

However, I need help with scope bases.

Mine is drilled with .860" between the holes on the front base [similar to Weaver #46 base], but has .490" between holes on the rear base [no Weaver base with that distance on their chart].

Weaver 2 piece bases [#54 and #55] are supposed to have .504" spacing on both bases.

Unfortunately, using the #46 base for the front doesn't seem likely, as it uses a different diameter and thickness than the #55 [front], while the rear isn't matched anywhere.

Any advice would be appreciated. I like this old rifle, but want to be able to actually use it and have a hope of hitting something- instead of just looking at it.

Thank you
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.